Steerings

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
Ethaninja

Steerings

Post by Ethaninja » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:23 am

Loving the game so far guys ;D Love that epic feeling during a dogfight and everything. It's beautiful!

So far the only thing that annoys me is the 6DOF. I hate the way the cursor locks up when you look up, it makes dogfighting really hard, and unable to perform maneuvers you would otherwise be able to perform in a standard flight environment.

To whit: I was fighting a drone, kicking his ass as usual of course, keeping him in view, when he starts to fly "upwards", towards to top of my bridge, I had to aim "up" to get to him but it locked up, forcing me to have to rotate my camera 180 degrees, and while that doesn't sound like a big deal, it gave him that chance to get the drop on me, and I pretty much got my arse handed to me from there :P

TwoHedWlf
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Steerings

Post by TwoHedWlf » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:13 pm

Ethaninja wrote:Loving the game so far guys ;D Love that epic feeling during a dogfight and everything. It's beautiful!

So far the only thing that annoys me is the 6DOF. I hate the way the cursor locks up when you look up, it makes dogfighting really hard, and unable to perform maneuvers you would otherwise be able to perform in a standard flight environment.

To whit: I was fighting a drone, kicking his ass as usual of course, keeping him in view, when he starts to fly "upwards", towards to top of my bridge, I had to aim "up" to get to him but it locked up, forcing me to have to rotate my camera 180 degrees, and while that doesn't sound like a big deal, it gave him that chance to get the drop on me, and I pretty much got my arse handed to me from there :P

I think I'd prefer to be able to completely eliminate the steering with the mouse and give the pilot direct control. This is, almost what we have no when you turn off the inertial dampers.

As it is, I find it very difficult to simply circle around the drones while keeping it within the turret arc because the ship won't roll how I want it.

But then, that's removing a simply control method to deal with a flaw in the turret placement. Simply moving the turrets would probably be a better option.
Death to foxes

aaaddd4747
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Steerings

Post by aaaddd4747 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:05 am

the current control system is pretty slick at the moment, with the exception of the current "2 and a half d" movement abilities, i really can't think of a good reason as to why it would even be there, considering that other games running the same engine dont have this problem, and there is no up or down in space as we all are already aware. as for completely eliminating the current autosteering system, i am inclined to agree, i find the ship tends to turn much too far when performing sharp turns, and has resulted in my demise in several dogfights. the actual movement controls are well near perfect in their current setup, but i would like to see something more along the lines of space engineer's turning system, minus the pain that gyros often are in that game.
ship: OFSS DERPY_PENGUIN