Short review

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
PoshTortoise
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Short review

Post by PoshTortoise » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:51 pm

I was going to do an in depth review of every build but until it really becomes a game then I will.

The only major problem I can think of now is that the gameplay doesn't make for a fun experience.

Right now you boot up the game. if you are by yourself you die but if you are with your friends you are invincible. There leaves no room for tactics or stategy when a turret and a pilot is all you need to destroy every single drone ever. I am not sure how this could be improved but one thing is for sure, it has to change. Either the turrets need to have a slow recharge, different damage or be ripped out completely. the latter i believe is a bad idea but until the gameplay allows for the game to be different and fun every single jump then I will not do another review

Yet again people tend to get angry at me thinking I hate the game or the developers but I love this game. Its the game I have always wanted and I just want to help the developers

-Posh

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Short review

Post by Edinstein » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks for the review!

We agree with the points that you have made, the current plan for future combat is to make it slower, the weapons do less damage, and the fights last longer, this should give players time to discuss and think more strategically and not panic as much

We also have plans to overhaul the turrets, they feel monotonous very quickly and we think we can add a bit more depth to them. By having some kind of timing mechanic that allows the turret to deal more damage during a small window of opportunity, making it a single shot beam weapon, would help with feedback and networking, and having the player juggle both the timing mechanic as well as keeping their sites on a moving target while they are also moving / rotating may help with that problem

The Scientist will be coming soon and they could potentially add much more strategy to the combat.

Thanks again for taking the time to play and right about the game, we always appreciate it!

Zukaro
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Zukaro » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:59 pm

Edinstein wrote:Thanks for the review!

We agree with the points that you have made, the current plan for future combat is to make it slower, the weapons do less damage, and the fights last longer, this should give players time to discuss and think more strategically and not panic as much

We also have plans to overhaul the turrets, they feel monotonous very quickly and we think we can add a bit more depth to them. By having some kind of timing mechanic that allows the turret to deal more damage during a small window of opportunity, making it a single shot beam weapon, would help with feedback and networking, and having the player juggle both the timing mechanic as well as keeping their sites on a moving target while they are also moving / rotating may help with that problem

The Scientist will be coming soon and they could potentially add much more strategy to the combat.

Thanks again for taking the time to play and right about the game, we always appreciate it!
I can't wait for the Scientist roll the come out <3 daz all I's gonna play forever :V
Zukaro Travon
Robotic Fox

PoshTortoise
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by PoshTortoise » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:14 am

Edinstein wrote:Thanks for the review!

I think one way that could help you in development is to when you are testing only use the ship weapons to destroy the drones. Tweak the AI and the damage stats until the feeling is right. Then you can work the turrets around the systems already set in place because at the end of the day the ship to ship fight should be the most important aspect instead of the turret to ship fight. At least thats how I think it should feel. Oh and also I think if you want to implement the slow recharge high damage mechanic then the drones have to move more like planes so they are more difficult to hit. It would also make them look more believable