Oculus Touch Pilot Controls?

Ask your burning questions about PULSAR: Lost Colony here!
Selei

Oculus Touch Pilot Controls?

Post by Selei » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:47 am

Hey there!

I'm posting this again from having asked on the steam forum for the game (original post can be found here https://steamcommunity.com/app/252870/d ... 1563416698):

I feel like I'm missing something. I've been trying to figure out how piloting works with the oculus touch controllers for almost an hour now.

I cant seem to get the ship to recognize up and down input (in terms of the ships nose direction). The left analog stick, which supposedly controls the pitch, just seems to make the ship accelerate or decelerate.

Am I missing something super obvious? I'd love to be able to really dig into the game, having just bought it, but I cant figure out the pilot controls for the life of me.

I've been searching for answers but it seems most of the threads regarding VR go unanswered.

Thanks for any insight yall have!

Best,
Selei

EngBot

Re: Oculus Touch Pilot Controls?

Post by EngBot » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:12 pm

Manual or Auto?
Breaker of all the things

Selei

Post by Selei » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi Engbot!

Im not sure I fully understand the question, but, I'll try my best to answer.

I believe its manual mode (taking control of the helm by walking up and pressing the right grip button, or R if using a keyboard). If you are speaking of the flight modes (that can be selected on the screen next to the pilot station, the "Binary" or "Precise" modes), then mode selection does not matter in terms of control effect.

Im sorry if this doesnt answer the question, I am just now starting to play the game, so the whole thing is still a little overwhelming in terms of complexity.

Best,
Selei

EngBot

Post by EngBot » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Pilot Manual
Manual vs Automatic Flight mode (Switch by pressing X)
Manual Mode gives the Pilot absolute control over every axis of translation and rotation for the ship. This means 12 actions are possible. Rotation:
W tilts the ship down, S tilts the ship up
Q rolls the ship to the left, E rolls the ship to the right
A turns the ship to the left, D turns the ship to the right
Translation:
Clicking and holding the right mouse button will convert the rotation keys into translation keys.
RMB Q moves the ship vertically up, RMB E moves the ship vertically down
RMB A moves the ship to the left, RMB D moves the ship to the Right
RMB W moves the ship forwards, RMB S moves the ship backwards
Clicking the left mouse button at any time will also move the ship forward, and the CTRL key also moves it backwards.

Automatic Flight mode is mostly the same, but with a few changes.
The W and S keys now move the ship forwards and backwards respectively.
The ship will tilt up and down automatically based on the camera direction. Holding the right mouse button changes the keys like it does in manual, however the ship will now automatically rotate itself on all axis to where the camera is looking. This allows the players to rotate and translate the ship simultaneously.

Both flight modes are strong tools, and many Pilots prefer one way or the other. Experimenting with both modes to find which one best suits your play-style is highly recommended.
Now the controls are gonna be different due to VR, but the idea is similar.
You can see which one you're running in the bottom left of the thing stating m/s in the pilot station
Breaker of all the things

Selei

Post by Selei » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:57 pm

I'll double check this when I get home!

I really appreciate your help!

Selei

Post by Selei » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:55 pm

You sir, are a saint. That was exactly it. I swapped it to manual mode and was able to finally pilot!

I didnt even notice the controls (the UI is super hard to read in the headset!) I had to take my headset off and look at the flat version to read it properly.

Thank you!