Character's needs.

Ask your burning questions about PULSAR: Lost Colony here!
Razor47
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Character's needs.

Post by Razor47 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:42 am

Good evening, I was wondering if our characters will have to eat and drink regurarly in order to survive. Don't take me wrong I don't want it to be Sims-style, but it might be much more funny if you have to stop sometimes in order to get some fresh food ecc.

Viggosen
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Character's needs.

Post by Viggosen » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:37 am

You mean like the hardcore mode in fallout new vegas?

Razor47
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Razor47 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:39 am

Viggosen wrote:You mean like the hardcore mode in fallout new vegas?
Exactly.

Viggosen
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Viggosen » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:55 am

That would be an interesting idea but, the survival worked in fallout because the world was almost completely barren. (I hope I used that word correct) In this setting I guessing you will spend a lot of time on the ship. So if you starving under a battle and really need some space burgers is it OK to wander of to the lunchroom and get some grub? I'm not saying it's a bad idea, cus I like it :mrgreen: I'm just wondering how well it would fit in this setting.

Shieldmountain
Bar Owner
Bar Owner

Post by Shieldmountain » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:17 pm

If I'm starving in the real world and I'm in a situation I can choose to wait until the situation is over before I get some grub. If we get this in the game we need a belly panic button that gives you some extra time before you eat. Of course with a cool down. ;-)

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:53 am

We probably will not add a hunger / thirst mechanic to the game for a number of reasons. We don't want to player to be driven by any sort of timer or clock, we want people to feel free to explore in any direction. We also want people to die in very intense moments, when playing survival games, there is almost always a point when there is nothing left you can do but watch your character die a slow death.

We want the deaths in PULSAR to be fast and painful. During a firefight you look over at your monitors, your shields are gone, the hull integrity is below 25%, red lights are flashing throughout the ship and alarms are ringing in your ears. It's over, the enemy ship launches the final nail in your coffin, and you have just enough time to look at your crew and say a final goodbye. That's more of what we are trying to emulate. :)

We are considering having consumables, but they mainly give you bonuses (perhaps like a "well-fed bonus"?)

Ben
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Ben » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:59 pm

Will there be escape pods? But it only has a certain amount of fuel so maybe the character/crew could survive?

LlamaMan
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by LlamaMan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:33 pm

On this topic, will the beds have some kind of function or pure decoration?
No time to explain, get in the llama! IT'S NEARLY FEBRUARY! MORE EXCITED THAN FOR CHRISTMAS!!

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:01 pm

Ben wrote:Will there be escape pods? But it only has a certain amount of fuel so maybe the character/crew could survive?
We aren't planning on supporting Escape pods, instead your ship will allocate all remaining power to the science station in a last ditch effort to teleport you the nearest, safest place. Most of the time, this means the enemy ship.

LlamaMan wrote:On this topic, will the beds have some kind of function or pure decoration?
It's still up in the air whether or not they will serve a function, if they do it will most likely give the player some sort of buff / if the entire crew does it, speed up the warp-travel time. (it's not super high on the priority list right now though)