Reactor screen questions

Ask your burning questions about PULSAR: Lost Colony here!
sage_1

Reactor screen questions

Post by sage_1 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:28 am

Hi, trying to build a model to optimize power usage, missing some links.

*. What is the relationship between the largest bar (most powerful component) and the total usage bar?

*. What is specifically being referred to when you say "most powerful"?

*. Since all other system bars scale to the largest bar, how then does the power drain of the apparently most powerful component relate to maximum reactor output?\

*. What is the specific relationship between shield recharge time, and amount of power diverted to shields from the reactor screen?

I understand completely if some of these questions can't be answered; part of the experience is figuring out these sorts of things for yourself. Merely fishing for any help on offer. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Trusin

Re: Reactor screen questions

Post by Trusin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:30 am

I don't think we have the final version of the displays yet. I am hoping as development continues the actual numbers will be displayed on the screens or at least the option of being able to see them as it relates to your installed equipment.

obliviondoll
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Reactor screen questions

Post by obliviondoll » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Total power bar is the total amount of power the system can output. This limits how much of the reactor's output can in total be allocated between systems. If you reduce the slider down from max, this caps the total power use of systems without limiting any individual system's power use.

The power settings on each system are essentially a maximum level of power that system can draw. The length of the bar is basically the maximum amount of draw that system can possibly require when operating at peak power. Turning the slider down caps it.

How power is allocated, in my experience (and limited testing), seems to be a "first come, first served" basis, not dependent on the power allocation settings. If your maximum reactor output is being used (or the less-than-full output if you capped it to manage heat), then any attempt at initiating something which needs more power will essentially be stalled.

Examples: If you have your total output capped at a very low level, your shields are damaged, and the shield power level is higher than your (capped) total output, then they'll be taking all the available power output to try and recharge your shields. While this is happening, attempts by your pilot to move the ship will produce no results, because all available power is being used already.