The mechanics behind the game?

Ask your burning questions about PULSAR: Lost Colony here!
Reviire

The mechanics behind the game?

Post by Reviire » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:06 am

Hi so, I really like Pulsar: Lost Colony. But one thing I've really been thinking about, how did you get the game to work so smoothly, with players being on the ship, seeing what's outside, while everything works perfectly fine inside? I was under the impression two vastly different scales never really fit well together.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: The mechanics behind the game?

Post by Edinstein » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:58 am

Our solution to this has changed throughout development, but one of the bigger breakthroughs we made was disconnecting the exterior and interior cameras and modifying them to be the best of both worlds. We made a video going over more of the technical details to this approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-PK8FXI120

We've made another change since releasing that video. We realized that the exterior view didn't need to directly match the interior's scale, so we scaled down all of the space objects to about 1/5th their previous size giving us even more freedom to make larger sectors.

These effects should not even be noticeable if done correctly and there is still a bit more we'd like to do with it, but overall we are pretty happy with the results. It's a lot better than some of the earlier builds of the game when the entire crew and interior moved along with the ship.

Jack Axton

Post by Jack Axton » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:23 am

I'm not going to give up how to do it (cause I don't want it fixed!), but there is a way to get outside in to outer space and see from a first person perspective how small the outside ships are compared to their interiors. It's a clever way to really pump performance from efficiency, and hurts my brain trying to comprehend what's going on on my screen.

Calladium
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Calladium » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:20 am

I have noticed though, the scale of ships compared to each other is a little off. For example, based on the inside dimensions of the Stargazer, you would expect it to be smaller than the intrepid and much smaller than the Carrier and Roland, but they are all close to the same size.