Oculus Touch not working well with UI

Ask your burning questions about PULSAR: Lost Colony here!

• I'm a newbie who must be doing something wrong.

I've got an Oculus setup with touch and selecting things in the UI is not working as expected. I get a pointer and can select the menu options on the left hand side like Play, Options, and Quit. The problems occur when I try making any other selections to the right of that first row of buttons. For the tabs and the boxes below them, the pointer will disappear. My head suddenly becomes a pointer without an on screen representative. I have to blindly move my head around till something highlights to select it.

This can't be what the default experience is meant to be. Does anyone have ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks.
    Chris

WTFGamer

• The last update introduced a bug with VR. A fix is in the works. Sorry for the trouble!

Edinstein
    Leafy Developer

• Edinstein wrote:The last update introduced a bug with VR. A fix is in the works. Sorry for the trouble!

Interesting...

I got it to work today and figured it was user error. I was writing a proper bug report and needed to get the version of the software. When I right clicked on the title in the steam library, I noticed the option to opt into the beta. I did that hoping a later version would help. Then I noticed the option to start as a oculus game. I think I saw some options when I was having trouble and selected Steam VR as the mode to play. I've always launched Steam VR after running the Oculus app assuming it gets config data to use. This time I skipped running Steam VR and just ran the game as an Oculus game. I don't know which change worked, but suddenly I had the UI menus working with the pointer. I did change some config options. Graphic defaulted to low with a 1080TI so I switched to Ultra. Voice chat had push to talk selected. I turned that off. I turned off keyboard/mouse and Steam VR controls and just left touch selected. I noticed I didn't see any games appear in the play menu. I created my own private game and jumped in. I was able to walk around the ship and select things. I didn't seem to sit in the Capt chair right. If I looked down I could see the chair behind me. I wandered around not knowing how to do much. I ended up blind warping the ship and starting a fire. I'm guessing I died of smoke inhalation. But I was very happy to get most of the experience working. I'll fiddle more in the next few days and hopefully that matchmaking menu gets fixed in the next update. Looking forward to exploring!

WTFGamer

• WTFGamer wrote:
    Edinstein wrote:The last update introduced a bug with VR. A fix is in the works. Sorry for the trouble!

Interesting...

I got it to work today and figured it was user error. I was writing a proper bug report and needed to get the version of the software. When I right clicked on the title in the steam library, I noticed the option to opt into the beta. I did that hoping a later version would help. Then I noticed the option to start as a oculus game. I think I saw some options when I was having trouble and selected Steam VR as the mode to play. I've always launched Steam VR after running the Oculus app assuming it gets config data to use. This time I skipped running Steam VR and just ran the game as an Oculus game. I don't know which change worked, but suddenly I had the UI menus working with the pointer. I did change some config options. Graphic defaulted to low with a 1080TI so I switched to Ultra. Voice chat had push to talk selected. I turned that off. I turned off keyboard/mouse and Steam VR controls and just left touch selected. I noticed I didn't see any games appear in the play menu. I created my own private game and jumped in. I was able to walk around the ship and select things. I didn't seem to sit in the Capt chair right. If I looked down I could see the chair behind me. I wandered around not knowing how to do much. I ended up blind warping the ship and starting a fire. I'm guessing I died of smoke inhalation. But I was very happy to get most of the experience working. I'll fiddle more in the next few days and hopefully that matchmaking menu gets fixed in the next update. Looking forward to exploring!

We did release Beta 16.1 yesterday. Since Steam usually auto-updates you may have gotten the fixes we made. Otherwise we're glad to hear it's working better! Check out the full release notes here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4030

Side note: We recommend keeping betas set to NONE, we don't really do advanced testing very often and any earlier builds available are left there whenever we change the save file format so people can choose to continue on their old saves.
    Hope that clarifies!

We also recommend checking out the manual for the game. It may help you get your bearings on what the game has to offer! You can read it on our website ( http://www.pulsarthegame.com/ ) or in the game's main menu or escape menu!

Edinstein
    Leafy Developer

Return to Your Questions

Information