Research Materials and other questions

Ask your burning questions about PULSAR: Lost Colony here!
Destromite

Research Materials and other questions

Post by Destromite » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:26 pm

I was wondering how you get Research Materials? I know they are on planets rarely. it just seems impossible to get enough to research anything unless you are playing on the outrider. it makes the outrider the best ship.
Also are there different main guns?
Does the game get harder over time?
How do you make the pilot not boring to play? No one on my crew wants to play it.
Does the weapons bot hit with maximum damage on every shot with the main gun?
Does the bot lead shots?
Why do the screens get messed up when we start taking hull damage?
Do the research plants in the bottom of the outrider grow every jump or have a chance to grow?
Answer anyone of my questions plz.

Tom R
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Research Materials and other questions

Post by Tom R » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:18 pm

Research Materials can be found on planets, bought from NPCs at the Burrow, and grown on the Outrider. You're right that it's hard to start on other ships, but it suddenly gets easier once you have the Research Material upgrade for the scanner. Alternatively, memorize planet-side material locations to get a leg up in new games without the scanner.

The Outrider grows new materials at a 50% chance per jump, but can still fail if the randomly chosen grow spot is already filled. See this screenshot for spots and materials involved. Look carefully since Fenrasil is short and red, which makes it hard to see in the ferns.

There are three main guns: the standard Main Turret, the Grim Cutlass's CU Long Range, and the Swarm's Keeper Beam. They all do Beam damage, which is good against hulls. Keeper Beam has the highest DPS but can't launch missiles. Both are guaranteed drops from their respective bosses.

The game's difficulty depends on equipment luck. Higher Chaos levels bring new and stronger enemies, but players can outpace them with good drops since Chaos 6 is as high as it goes and certain enemies drop strangely high level components.

Weapons Bot doesn't necessarily do a full charge with the Main Turret, but it's close enough. More generally speaking, just tapping fire is an 18.5% damage loss, while holding it the entire time is only a 10.6% damage loss. Max damage occurs with a perfect overlap of circles.

Bot accuracy is a similar deal with some random imperfection that's good enough.

The screens get messed up for fun, but they can also explode on hull damage and kill you with recent updates. Be careful!

Destromite

Post by Destromite » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:05 pm

Tom R wrote:Research Materials can be found on planets, bought from NPCs at the Burrow, and grown on the Outrider. You're right that it's hard to start on other ships, but it suddenly gets easier once you have the Research Material upgrade for the scanner. Alternatively, memorize planet-side material locations to get a leg up in new games without the scanner.

The Outrider grows new materials at a 50% chance per jump, but can still fail if the randomly chosen grow spot is already filled. See this screenshot for spots and materials involved. Look carefully since Fenrasil is short and red, which makes it hard to see in the ferns.

There are three main guns: the standard Main Turret, the Grim Cutlass's CU Long Range, and the Swarm's Keeper Beam. They all do Beam damage, which is good against hulls. Keeper Beam has the highest DPS but can't launch missiles. Both are guaranteed drops from their respective bosses.

The game's difficulty depends on equipment luck. Higher Chaos levels bring new and stronger enemies, but players can outpace them with good drops since Chaos 6 is as high as it goes and certain enemies drop strangely high level components.

Weapons Bot doesn't necessarily do a full charge with the Main Turret, but it's close enough. More generally speaking, just tapping fire is an 18.5% damage loss, while holding it the entire time is only a 10.6% damage loss. Max damage occurs with a perfect overlap of circles.

Bot accuracy is a similar deal with some random imperfection that's good enough.

The screens get messed up for fun, but they can also explode on hull damage and kill you with recent updates. Be careful!
Many thanks for the timely and in depth reply. It seemed like the weapons AI had 100% hit chance. It sorta sucks that there are only beam based main guns. Do you know about any plans to have different main turret weapon types?

Tom R
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Tom R » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:19 pm

You're very welcome. Feel free to ask more and I'll throw in what tidbits I know.
Destromite wrote:It sorta sucks that there are only beam based main guns. Do you know about any plans to have different main turret weapon types?
If you want something to clear shields, use a Lightning Turret before switching to Main Turret. Lightning damage does x4 extra to shields and has a VERY small chance to turn off the target ship.

Unsure on plans. I'm just another player.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:35 pm

Destromite wrote:It sorta sucks that there are only beam based main guns. Do you know about any plans to have different main turret weapon types?
I’m just the artist, but I’d love to have projectile-based main turrets. Can’t guarantee the plans as of yet, but I’ll make a push for it.