planet spawns

Ask your burning questions about PULSAR: Lost Colony here!
EngBot

planet spawns

Post by EngBot » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:23 pm

What is with the current planet spawns? They seem to be spawning random things without care for planet type (fire, acid, etc.), and some things respawn after a few seconds when killed.

for example:
Side note: you can glitch assassin bots if you stand in them when they reform.
Breaker of all the things

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: planet spawns

Post by Edinstein » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:45 am

We tweaked a lot of the spawning properties on many of the planets during the last update, this was mostly to add some additional enemy variety to each planet for players on different runs. We made a lot of changes so it's possible some of the enemy variety may not be suitable for the assigned planet. I'll put aside some time to look through the planets again and see if I can find any severe issues.

We also tweaked enemy respawn times, and many of the enemies now respawn. This was intended to try and keep planets dangerous / unpredictable.

The Assassin Bot is one of the rare enemies that can't be killed, it simply reconstructs itself after a few moments. We'll look into that bug report you mentioned though.

Thanks for the heads up!

EngBot

Post by EngBot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Ok, good to hear that this isn't unintended thing. Having the assassin bots show up outside of the museum was confusing due to it's damage, attack range, and unkillable status.

The main reason I stated planet type is due to finding rats in both acidic and no oxygen planets, yet to find one outside on a lava planet though.

Do creatures like rats take damage from the environment at all? I know they dont take fall damage but die if they fall into a "kill" zone.
Breaker of all the things

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Thanks for that extra information, I'll try to find those pesky rats!

Speaking as the artist, my knowledge with how certain systems work internally can be a little limited. I do know that they inherit certain characteristics from a basic combat target script but I'm not sure if that's the same script that controls things like environment damage. My guess is that they don't currently take damage due to not ever really needing to before.