Before I buy, I'd like to ask a few questions please..

Ask your burning questions about PULSAR: Lost Colony here!
Luciani

Before I buy, I'd like to ask a few questions please..

Post by Luciani » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi there, liking what I'm seeing so far. Think I'll buy the game regardless of the answers. I'll use some other games as reference to better guide answers to my questions.

1. If you've played Guns of Icarus Online.. will this game be like that, just in space? And if so, how much damage can the ship take and how much damage is repairable in space?

2. Can crew members die from injuries aboard the ship from damaged systems?

3. Are classes able to use another class's console(s) if a member is dead or otherwise unable to do their duty?

4. Like the game FTL (Faster Than Light), how similiar is this game? I know we have crew, warp travel, different systems, etc. Example: Will there be oxygen levels to worry about, will we have to worry about enemies boarding our ship, and will we be able to take on new crew, NPC or player?

Maninatincan
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Before I buy, I'd like to ask a few questions please..

Post by Maninatincan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:14 pm

Although the game is in alpha,ill try to answer most these questions.

1)Never played it so i cant tell.

2)Yes they can die.Fires can go on around the ship.02 can deplete and you can die.

3)Yes. In single player you can even control everything,although it is a tedious task.

4)FTL is in a whole different league to this game.FTL you are being chased and cant really stop at a place that long.In this game you can go completely pacifist and not interact with anybody,and just trade around the galazy.O2 is in the game.Im not sure enemies can board but i now we can board.NPCs im not sure but others real life players can join the game.

I think this game has a lot in store for the future.After talking to the dev there is seriously so much to this game that we are at the tip of the iceberg here.I really think you should consider getting this game.Have fun!
The REAL man in a tin can has arrived.:)
I make youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Maninatincan

casauchi

Post by casauchi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:49 pm

I guess you could say it is like Guns of Icarus Online. The only difference being that you won't be against a player controlled enemy.

But the whole repairing thing? Yeah, practically the same.

-casauchi

MCKOGAMING
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by MCKOGAMING » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:09 pm

Hey,

This game is definitely worth buying. There are many features that haven't been released into the Alpha that they have already completed. They're goal right now is to test the game with the basic features and fundamentals and get all the bugs worked out before they add the other features. If you curious to see some insight into some of these features try watching their 24 Dev Logs here.. http://pulsarthegame.com/blog/?paged=3. At the bottom is Dev Log #0, they're first run through of what Pulsar is about.

Hope this helps.

-MCKOGAMING

Luciani

Post by Luciani » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:30 am

Thank you all for the replies. Going over the devblogs now. :)

Reasoner

Post by Reasoner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:50 am

Luciani wrote:1. If you've played Guns of Icarus Online.. will this game be like that, just in space? And if so, how much damage can the ship take and how much damage is repairable in space?
In my opinion, this game is very little like Guns of Icarus Online. Yes, the core mechanics are similar in some respects - however when the game is completed (and you can already see this now) it will be far, far more in-depth that GoI. The ship will be able to take lots of different types of damage upon release: damage to engines, shields, weapons, life support systems, thrusters, the actual computers that run the ship will be vulnerable to program failure, etc.
Luciani wrote:2. Can crew members die from injuries aboard the ship from damaged systems?
In the final release (and most likely a near alpha version) this will be implemented. But yes, most definitely.
Luciani wrote:3. Are classes able to use another class's console(s) if a member is dead or otherwise unable to do their duty?
Not entirely sure on this one, however at the moment none of the panels are locked to a specific class: ie as any class you can fly the ship. I think how it will work down the line is that the class has certain buffs to doing what he is meant to do but if they die they can be replaced.
Luciani wrote:4. Like the game FTL (Faster Than Light), how similiar is this game? I know we have crew, warp travel, different systems, etc. Example: Will there be oxygen levels to worry about, will we have to worry about enemies boarding our ship, and will we be able to take on new crew, NPC or player?
Pretty much certain all of those things you mentioned have been confirmed somewhere down the line apart from taking on new crew. Crew permadeath is a big deal in Pulsar, so I'm not sure if you will be able to recruit more bots to fill gaps after a players death or the like.

Hope this helps.
Eclectic Administrator and Founder of Liberated Gaming.

Luciani

Post by Luciani » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:41 am

Very insightful, thank you, Reasoner. Think you just sealed the deal for me in buying this game. I'm sold. :mrgreen: I have to wait until tomorrow afternoon though, but I'll definately buy it.