How is everybody?

Talk about other games or anything!
Zukaro
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

How is everybody?

Post by Zukaro » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:50 am

It's so quiet around here. ;~;
Even when updates come out it's still fairly quiet around here.

So how is everyone? What's new?
Zukaro Travon
Robotic Fox

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: How is everybody?

Post by yacabo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:34 am

Well after many years of my silent personality I have gotten to the point that I have overthought any meaningful subject, this means that it's hard for me to start an actually conversation that I could care about leaving me for this game, space engineers, and steven universe to have something new happen before I can re-overthink something or start a new conversation properly.

Other than that I'm doing great, how about you?
I love space

Zukaro
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Zukaro » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:33 pm

yacabo wrote:Well after many years of my silent personality I have gotten to the point that I have overthought any meaningful subject, this means that it's hard for me to start an actually conversation that I could care about leaving me for this game, space engineers, and steven universe to have something new happen before I can re-overthink something or start a new conversation properly.

Other than that I'm doing great, how about you?
I find I'm often unable to start conversation as well. :p However, it's not due to over-thinking things (although there are subjects which I do put a LOT of thought into, such as artificial intelligence (i.e., I literally think about it 24/7 (that and foxes :p and robot foxes <3))). Generally when I first meet someone I have a ton to talk about, but then the next day I wont have much to say. Although usually I'll have lots to say on certain subjects such as computers and AI, but that's more on the technical side as to how it all works.

In person I'm generally much better at conversation (I find online everyone's distracted (I personally give my full attention to whoever I'm talking to online :p), so don't respond with much 99% of the time).

As for how I'm doing; I'm okay. College is busy. ;~; And not busy with the stuff that would actually be fun/is the entire reason I'm going to college (to learn programming). They're making me do diagrams and all the paper work stuff. It's so dull. ;~; And boring. ;~; And then in my programming class we don't actually get any assignments to do and I don't learn the way it's being taught, so not doing so great in that class currently (I generally do really well in my programming classes, but it's entirely dependant on teaching style; I need lots of hands on work, I don't learn anything from lecture/reading). It doesn't help that everything we're learning only works in a Windows environment (I can't apply this stuff to Linux :v (not yet anyway, but eventually as Microsoft has open sourced the .NET framework, which is what we're learning (specifically we're using C#))).

I did learn Java though awhile back, but I forget a lot of stuff. :V But I'm sure it would be easy to get back into that, assuming I ever had time. '^'

We're also learning Windows Administration, which again, I don't like. ;~; But I'm doing fine in that class at least (cuz it's simple). I appreciate Microsoft making everything super easy so I can pass my classes and then ignore Microsoft and focus on Linux. :P Cuz if we had to learn PowerShell it wouldn't happen (which we learned a little of but I know nothing other than the commands that are shared between PS and Bash).

We did have a Linux admin class and all the programming up until now was Java (so would work on any platform), so I used Linux exclusively and I liked that (I also already knew all the stuff for the Linux classes ahead of time as I've been using Linux for a long time now). :p But now I have to use Windows in school. ;~; At least, in the C# class. In the Windows admin class I still use Linux cuz we're using virtual machines. Also, nothing works well on the Windows side of that PC cuz it's Windows 8.1 and I have a 4k monitor on that laptop. Which means nothing scales properly, and also means that the mouse is who knows where when I'm trying to work on the VM's. Which in a Windows environment, is terrible cuz Windows pretty much only works with a GUI (the funny thing is, Microsoft made PowerShell in an attempt to get where Linux has been since 1991 (which is when Linux was first released), and PowerShell is a more recent Microsoft technology :P). On the Linux side having the display set to the native resolution makes everything tiny, but if I set it to 1920x1080 it scales everything perfectly. Whereas on the Windows side setting it to 1920x1080 makes everything tiny and unreadable. :V

I want to just get on with learning AI already though. ;~; It's not offered in my course though (basically I'm gonna do this course, get the thing you get for doing the course, and then go on to try and learn AI while now being employable in a field I'm interested in cuz of the course I'm in now).

ONE DAY I WILL BUILD ROBAWT FOXES. '^' I have some theories as to AI and how to make it be able to figure everything out on its own. However, I hear AI is heavily math based and I struggle with math. But with a calculator I can do math just fine (I just can't hold onto numbers in my head and work with them :p).

But yeh I ran out of wordz '^' so idk wat else to say nao ;A;
Zukaro Travon
Robotic Fox

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by yacabo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:28 pm

I don't know much about programing, but I imagine that the math is for the robot to figure out how balance itself, know where to go, how far that wall is, how far to walk, how long to walk, etc.

I can't imagine that coding an AI for a robot is much different from coding an AI for an NPC on a video game, other than coding the fact that it's in reality instead of running on a .exe file. That makes me think though, maybe programing a simulation on the computer that is near realistic of how everything works (gravity, wind, terrain) and coding the robot, giving it a model inside the simulation be better than testing it in real life, that way you don't have to buy expensive parts that you might have to scrap if the model fails.

Though I bet the simulation would be expensive, I've seen this one thing that simulates water down to the molecule and it needed a small room for the processer
at least I think that was a processer

But yeah, the day I find that you built those robot foxes, will be a happy day
I love space

Zukaro
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Zukaro » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:50 pm

yacabo wrote:I don't know much about programing, but I imagine that the math is for the robot to figure out how balance itself, know where to go, how far that wall is, how far to walk, how long to walk, etc.

I can't imagine that coding an AI for a robot is much different from coding an AI for an NPC on a video game, other than coding the fact that it's in reality instead of running on a .exe file. That makes me think though, maybe programing a simulation on the computer that is near realistic of how everything works (gravity, wind, terrain) and coding the robot, giving it a model inside the simulation be better than testing it in real life, that way you don't have to buy expensive parts that you might have to scrap if the model fails.

Though I bet the simulation would be expensive, I've seen this one thing that simulates water down to the molecule and it needed a small room for the processer
at least I think that was a processer

But yeah, the day I find that you built those robot foxes, will be a happy day
Game AI is worlds apart from how real world AI works. In a game the AI is generally very simple (even when it's complex), as the most you're doing is path-finding (generally). Some games add a bit more to their AI and have them have some other traits, but it's fairly primitive when compared to the AI we use for things outside of games. That's not to say you couldn't use a more advanced AI in a game, but generally it's not done as there's not often any need for that level of complexity.

The math in AI changes based on the algorithm you're using, but generally it's statistics. Since nothing is ever 100% certain in reality statistics are a good way of getting machines to make decisions in the real world, as you can have the machine record the outcome of an event and impact the data points. So essentially, you use this to predict the likeliness of a certain thing, and the machine takes the actions it deems are appropriate.

As for how the machine may come to what actions are appropriate, there's a few ways. One of which is just to hard code various things it can do, but another would be to give it various smaller mechanics it can use to create a bigger action. And then based on how the action went it can evolve this function.

One of the many algorithms out there are genetic algorithms. These model evolution (the most fit survives, mutations occur, etc). It's used for optimization problems mostly (I believe a genetic algorithm was used to make the best possible antenna for a space craft once), but the theory could be applied to other types of problems.

I don't fully understand everything about the different types of AI yet though (I know a little bit and the vague theory behind it). But I know there's generally a lot too it. It's interesting stuff though, and I want to study it and understand it further, and then play with it and see what I can do.

I personally want to study genetic algorithms as they seem interesting, and I have various ideas as to how I might be able to use them to get a robot to figure out its surroundings and how to navigate them (and maybe even how to think and be sentient (the way I see it is organic life learned to become sentient through millions of years of evolution, so there's no reason we can't model this in a computer; the only issue is attempting to optimise the algorithm which does this so that it doesn't take millions of years on a computer :P)).

But either way, I like the idea of just making the computer figure out problems for me so I don't have too. :V :P Even if my methods of doing so are more complex than actually figuring out the problem on my own. Laziness is very valuable in this field. :P The way I see it is the more lazy you are the better, cuz you'll engineer a solution to doing work (so basically, you'll write a program that does the work for you, even if writing that program was more work overall :P).
Zukaro Travon
Robotic Fox

GwaziMagnum
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by GwaziMagnum » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Zukaro wrote:In person I'm generally much better at conversation
1x1 is a bit different of a situation though. :P
I've tended to notice there needs to be at least three of us total (Argus being an exception) for you to get that vocal.
Zukaro wrote:Wibbly Wobbly Techy Wimey stuff.
I'd also suggest when designing AI in a program that you simulate it in a 'human world' first.
But have the AI believe that it's in the real world. That way if they do something such as say... burn down a city out of curiosity you can catch it before it happens IRL. :P