Something about Steam...

Talk about other games or anything!
DarkHenrik

Something about Steam...

Post by DarkHenrik » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:38 pm

Have anyone heard about the mod stuff with Steam, allot of people are even advertising people to just move to GoG, stating that its better that Steam, so can this have an impact on Pulsar? :?:

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Something about Steam...

Post by yacabo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:26 pm

You mean...

dare I say it...

PAY FOR MODS, it's DLC all over again
I love space

DarkHenrik

Post by DarkHenrik » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:44 pm

yacabo wrote:You mean...

dare I say it...

It was disheartening to read the comments on the Skyrim Community, whats worst is that people treated this GoG website as their new lord and savior. I hate that, because it showes the true evil in the world of gaming, the stupid gamers that prase one company, and when that company go down the drain, they all flee to a new company and eventualy make it a greedy monster too, it have happend to so many companies. Whats worst is that some people treated that hole Pay for mods thing that it was the begining of the end of pc gaming as a hole... thats how pissed of and depressed people is about this.

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by yacabo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:56 pm

DarkHenrik wrote:
yacabo wrote:You mean...

dare I say it...

It was disheartening to read the comments on the Skyrim Community, whats worst is that people treated this GoG website as their new lord and savior. I hate that, because it showes the true evil in the world of gaming, the stupid gamers that prase one company, and when that company go down the drain, they all flee to a new company and eventualy make it a greedy monster too, it have happend to so many companies. Whats worst is that some people treated that hole Pay for mods thing that it was the begining of the end of pc gaming as a hole... thats how pissed of and depressed people is about this.
I think you're being pessimistic, so many people hate it I bet that they'll just take it off and not that many are going to GoG. I also find it hard to believe that this would be the end especial since that it's only a few of the mods
I love space

DarkHenrik

Post by DarkHenrik » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:08 pm

yacabo wrote: I think you're being pessimistic, so many people hate it I bet that they'll just take it off and not that many are going to GoG. I also find it hard to believe that this would be the end especial since that it's only a few of the mods
You are right, but when one have read so many cruel and hate filled writing, and even ones where people wishes for Gabe to die, and stuff showing Gabe as a lying, greedy man who ignores people's conserns, i have good reasons to be a bit depressed, i am that type persion that takes things, even stuff meant to other people persional. Its as if the hate in someones writing leaks out and becomes knifes that stabs me in the hearth. :cry:

Zukaro
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Zukaro » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:08 pm

I've heard of the whole paying for mods thing. Frankly, I don't think it's a bad idea. Of course, I'd much rather have free mods, but this system will allow for professional modders to become a thing (currently if you want to profit off modding a game you have to run your own website and either sell the mod through your site (which some modders already do, although it's not very common), or make money through advertising or donations).

As for the Steam communities reaction, I've not heard anything about it. I stay far away from the Steam community except to ask for Linux support/check if it's planned on various games I'm interested in. But I assume people are pissed off about it as this is the Internet, and something that used to be free isn't anymore. That being said, Nexus is a much better location to get mods for things like Skyrim anyways.

As long as you're not forced to sell your mods (so as the modder if you can still give your mods for free) I don't really care. However, I do think a mod should pass a certain threshold before it's allowed to be monetized, as you're going to see a massive increase in crap mods asking for money. Essentially we're going to have the early access problem. While in theory it's a good system, it's easily abused and so will be abused (there's many games that get on Steam and stay in early access with no intention of ever being completed, or become abandoned (for example, one of DoubleFine's games was abandoned because they didn't make enough money on Steam early access to complete it, so released it in an unfinished state)). I love early access as sometimes it can be a lot of fun to play a game early and watch as the new content is added, plus it's nice to support development (and sometimes games would never have happened without it); but it's certainly not a perfect system and needs work in its implementation.

The thing about a mod is it can range from essentially an entire game on it's own, to just a small little thing you'll barely notice. So in some circumstances paying for it makes sense, as the mod creator put a lot of effort into it, and in other circumstances it really should just be free. But that can be said about many games too. For example, all the joke games where the joke is how bad the game works and they just use stock models from Unity and such.

Basically, mods are community made DLC. So now modders have the option to make it free or paid. As for DLC itself, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but it really depends on how it's utilized (expansions are good DLC and add a lot to a game, whereas small things such as horse armour aren't very good DLC).

As for how this impacts Pulsar, it doesn't. Steam has many millions upon millions of people on it. The majority of those probably don't mod their games, and even if they do, probably don't care. And even those who do mod their games likely don't care that much either. But in the end, no one's going to leave Steam as they bought their games on Steam, so they're pretty much locked in.

Steam definitely isn't perfect though. There's a lot of areas it needs drastic improvement in. But it's certainly a good system to have gotten so many people to use it. Although I don't much care for the whole being locked in thing; that's the main thing I'd like to see change (essentially, be able to download and backup all your games). Unfortunately that will never happen as all the large studios want DRM, which Steam is. Although it would be nice to be able to download and backup games without DRM on Steam (I tend to check HumbleBundle for games first as if it's on there it wont have DRM and I can back it up while still getting a Steam key, and I like having the ability to keep things I pay for on my machines (essentially I like being ready for the apocalypse :P (if there's an apocalypse I still want all my games :V)).
Zukaro Travon
Robotic Fox

GwaziMagnum
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by GwaziMagnum » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:33 pm

-----Copied response from another site-----

And 2-3 hours of following & researching this later:

Gaben responds to criticisms on Reddit.
Gopher does a soundcloud podcast.

And two more videos from Gopher (three total now including the one I linked earlier in the thread), he's been covering this a lot.

Modding as a Career vs. Hobby
PAYING FOR MODS: Threats, Bullying and the Death of Modding?

I suggest that anyone who seriously cares about this at least see Gabens responses on the matter, but here's a TL;DR version for those who lack the time.

TL;DR
  • Valve made a number of poor judgments and predictions. They are now working on improving the service so it works better.
  • This includes giving all mods access to such a feature, with a 0$ minimum which is basically no different than before (though seriously, they need to let workshop play nice with load orders and compatibility).
  • The hate speech and harassment that mod authors have been getting is outright barbaric. Seriously, it is. If you are one of the people who sent such harassment to a Mod Author you need to sit down, look in the mirror and think long and hard about what you did. Because quite honestly, anyone who did that has something fundamentally missing/wrong with them.
  • In all likelihood the vast Majority of Mods will remain free, and most paid mods are likely to have a free equivalent (so my earlier 100$+ comment? Disregard what I said back there completely).
  • If Valve and Bethesda can get their act together and fix the oversights (which Valve is already trying to do) this works as an amazing means to creating freelance DLC, better quality assurance with Mods, more time put towards mods, better Creation Kit engines etc.
-----Copied portion now over-----

As for Pulsar specifically?

I highly doubt this will affect them.
Because firstly this is Skyrim specific atm, so only Skyrim players will be affected.
Even so, you need to narrow it down to those who bother modding.
And then narrow it down to those who care about this in the first place.
Narrow it down again to those who are nasty individuals and/or use workshop over Nexus (for some bizarre reason).

And you've got a very small minority of people to worry about leaving.
Even then not all of those people will leave, and a lot who do will probably be those wishing for people to die, which in all honesty we don't need them.
Pulsar is game built on community and co-operation, it doesn't need to be poisoned by those who would throw death threats at people like Chesko whose invested 1000's of hours (for free) to the Modding community.

Concern about the direction this might go for Skyrim, and other workshops is a valid concern.
The current system/implementation is crap and needs vast improvement, Pulsar is no where near the zone of danger for this incident.