Favourite space games

Talk about other games or anything!
Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:18 am

• Who here is a die hard Kerbal Space Program gamer? I have clocked almost 400 hours on KSP but some people have clocked thousands of hours in that game. I loved some of the mods in that game. Dedicated to using Ferram (FAR - extremely realistic physics), B9 parts, as well as Engineering Redux and procedural wings. Experimented with ramjet engines as well and a little on VTOL designs. I love space simulation to the core and how amazing it feels when you dock with a space station with your very own space ship designs...

On a side note: Anyone else notice that game Interstellar Rift? Seems interesting enough, and interestingly has co-op support. Looks like a more serious space ship design game with a focus more along the lines of Pulsar. I ultimately would love the detail in orbital mechanics and space simulation physics that KSP has but has the building ability (aka minecraft { tekkit || ftb }) plus the co-op moab feel of Pulsar.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:23 pm

• KSP isn't really my thing - cool concept but I tried it and could never quite find myself having fun. I totally get why other people love it though! Space Engineers similarly fails to capture my imagination - but oddly, Interstellar Rift is one I find quite awesome. The ship design tool is very flexible and powerful, and feels different from other ship-building games. Another one in that basket which I enjoy is Starmade, which is weird because most people see it as just being a more primitive Space Engineers.

Endless Sky is amazing - and FREE, which is cool. Istrolid is also free. Both are 2D - ES is a trading-focused game where you can build up a fleet of ships, while Istrolid is RTS gameplay but with custom-designed ships.

I recently got Evochron Legacy, which is ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. It's basically everything Elite: Dangerous promises to be 10 years and hundreds of wasted dollars in the future, but it's available now - and all made by a single guy. Also doesn't have the whole false advertising issue that I'm surprised there weren't more people making a big deal about. It has properly-implemented newtonian physics modeling, planetary landings/atmospheric flight, and a wide array of awesome things to find as you explore. Combat is crazy because of how the physics works, and atmospheric flight is quite difficult in ships designed more for traveling outside the atmosphere. You get to see capital ships, but can't control them. You can build stations though, and customise them, too. It's rather crazy in scope, even when you DON'T count that it's a solo project.

I quite often play Starpoint Gemini 2, which is epic, but has a few issues - Starpoint Gemini: Warlords is a new sequel, and addresses many of the previous game's problems. It's still in early access, and last I checked it was still buggy enough that I didn't consider it worth picking up yet. It's been a while though, so I'm about due to take another look.

I don't have Everspace, but it's another really cool looking space game I'm very interesting in trying out. It's a Roguelike-ish game, kind of like FTL, but with direct piloting of a small fighter ship, and a more arcade-y feel to the combat. On that note, FTL is another space game I'm a fan of.

For a more unique space game, Star Tactics is a turn-based strategy game. It's basically a mobile port (but the PC version released first). The UI feels decent for an obvious mobile port, and the gameplay is pretty awesome (also I got 2 copies for less than US$2). It isn't just conventional turn-based gameplay though - it's simultaneous turn-based - so when you ready up your turn, you ships AND the enemies all move together for a few seconds, then the next planning phase begins. The game is very simplistic on the surface, and 2D, but the gameplay is pretty awesome. Also in the simultaneous turn-based style, but 3D, is a game called Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy. I don't have that yet, but it's on my "to buy" list in the near future.

Another one that I do have, which is even more unique, is Concealed Intent. This is a simultaneous turn-based STEALTH game. Your ships have "signature" ratings, much like in EVE Online, indicating how visible you are. Keeping an enemy in sensor range for long enough will give you a good shot on them, but effective use of countermeasures can keep your ship hidden even when you're in close quarters. Combat feels like those old submarine combat games, where you're biding your time to try and get a good shot on a hidden enemy. I fnd it a really interesting twist on space combat, and one that I don't think I've seen used before.
    Beta Tester

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:04 am

• The theme of the game makes it more interesting. There are many space theme games like the Interstellar Rift and Endless Sky. These games have really nice and attract all gamers. My bother got the new PC games CD's of Destiny 2 from Instant-Gaming online store and we are now enjoying this new genre of gaming that involves all action.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:26 am

• I love Kerbal Space Program too. I've clocked in a few hundred hours into that game as well. I just love the variety and replayablity of KSP.

Return to Off Topic