Anyone else *Think Star Citizen is a pay to win?

Talk about other games or anything!
odzor

Anyone else *Think Star Citizen is a pay to win?

Post by odzor » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:10 am

Come on guys and gals. I understand about the crowd funding and i am all for the game, however the fact that people are spending ludicrously large amounts of money to start out with life time insurance and big ships seem a bit off to me. The point is when everyone starts out at level 1 some people will have paid to have bigger, faster and stronger ships. Sure... i guess pay for these amazing ships but i just hate the fact that everyone wont be starting on a level ground :C and also hate the fact that there wont be a CD copy of the game.
Last edited by odzor on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The more i learn about people. The more i like my dog"

Zetrick

Re: Anyone else thing Star Citizen is a pay to win?

Post by Zetrick » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:10 am

No i really dont think it is pay to win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e7_DWomGTc

progress
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by progress » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:14 am

I can definitely see where you're coming from. However, they've already stated that the lifetime insurance isn't as big of a deal as people are making it out to be, in that insuring a ship, even without it, will be a rather nominal fee in game. And, as for buying the big ships, I'm slightly more ill at ease with that. Once more, there is a "however" at the tip of my tongue. If they balance the game correctly, the size of the ships won't matter. What it will really come down to is proper organization. For example, I'd like to cite here the initial success of the Goonfleet attack strategy in eve. A bunch of cheap ships overwhelming a smaller force of better ships. I imagine we'll see similar upheaval in Star Citizen. The Art of War may be appropriate reading in this case. ;)

Edit: Good video, Emperor. He's right, that star Citizen doesn't fit that definition of pay to win, but I still feel like paying for advantages in early game can be unbalanced and lead to the same problems as strictly pay to win games. I just feel that Star Citizen doesn't lend itself to that actually happening, especially given the Time-Rich, Money-Poor versus Money-Rich, Time-Poor example the video gave.

odzor

Post by odzor » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:53 am

Still the fact that some people are going to hop into their ridiculously expensive Constellation and fly off, also the Constellation costing $275.00 that kind of worries me because if one ship that size is costing that many dollars then how much in-game credits is it going to cost to purchase new ships?

Vanderwild
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Vanderwild » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:55 pm

I'm not worried about the pay to win problem since the game is going to be able to be played in single player, coop, and almost MMO modes. The game, other than RSI's servers, will be easy to mod, according to the company. If that's true, some servers will probably have big ships for cheap. Of course if you want to be in RSI's big universe, you may run into some problems. Also, big ships don't always bring big fun. Being the little guy has it's benefits too.

I hope the game is at least half as good as they say it will be. And I hope we can all enjoy the game no matter how small our starting ship is. I'll be playing it, but strangely, I'm looking forward to Pulsar just as much.

- Vanderwild

odzor

Post by odzor » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:28 am

You have a point there. I just meant big'ish ships that would wipe clean any newbie ships fresh out the dock

TwoHedWlf
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by TwoHedWlf » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:53 pm

odzor wrote:You have a point there. I just meant big'ish ships that would wipe clean any newbie ships fresh out the dock
Shouldn't they? I know I'd be pretty upset if I spent months of work or hundreds of dollars buying and building the biggest baddest ship to find it was only marginally better than a newbie ship. I played a game like that once, spent a week working to buy the top of the line gun...Like 10% more damage. I ragequit the game and never played it again.
Death to foxes

wolfpup118
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by wolfpup118 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:24 am

odzor wrote:Still the fact that some people are going to hop into their ridiculously expensive Constellation and fly off, also the Constellation costing $275.00 that kind of worries me because if one ship that size is costing that many dollars then how much in-game credits is it going to cost to purchase new ships?
It has already been stated in several different places in the Star Citizen forums and interviews with the creators that the real money values have no reflection on the ease of getting them in game. They said that a Constellation should be achievable by spending 10-15 hours in-game, if not less especially if you have multiple people (it would be kind of hard to run a 5 person ship on your own). Within the first week, we should see small groups of people who wanted to get some of the larger ships owning those larger ships (not capital ship size, but those have never been available with actual money). If there is any inequality or pay 2 win scenario, it would only be an issue for the first week or so of game play.

They will have micro transactions, but the hypothetical they used is (not exactly word for word as this) "Let's say you have a person who plays for 2 hours. In those two hours, getting an average credit return for his time, he will have earned 25-50 dollars worth of credits". Basically the way the micro transactions are meant to work is if you are lacking a tiny amount of credits to get an item or ship you wanted you can purchase the credits now instead of needing to go out and do another hour long mission, but if you are missing a moderate to large amount of the credits you need, it will be financially breaking to buy the credits.

As for having big and small ships be balanced, as with any sci-fi universe, big ships will be hard to take down with small ships. Only with massive numbers will it be possible to topple the big ships with smaller ships. So yea, there is a bit of a pay 2 win sense for the beginning of the game, but that will only be during the first week or so of launch.
"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." - Hoban Washburne

"Give me a ship to fly and I'll make it sit up and beg, roll over (but NEVER play dead), and even do the jitterbug if you so fancy." - Unknown