Talk about other games or anything!
Zukaro
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: WAT MUSIC DO YOU BE LISTENING TOOOOO

Post by Zukaro » Sat May 03, 2014 1:52 am

aaaddd4747 wrote:
Zukaro wrote: :P
what I mean with I dun wanna use moar code I didn't write is basically I don't want my program to only be able to run in a virtual environment and stuff leik that.
Basically I want my code to run on the metal. :p
mfw you literally want to do machine code... they stopped doing that stuff for a reason: its a pain and never works between two systems (unless they're identical).

unless that isn't what you mean... in any case i understand the desire to have it "just run" anywhere without any fuss. :P
Some people still program in machine language. :P Although it's not very common. And some people program in assembler, which is basically as close to machine language as you can be without being in machine language.

But anyways; what I mean is have it run on the metal. :P Like, the OS runs on the metal for example. As in, it's not virtualized (unless run in a virtual machine). So anything written in C++ runs on the metal, whereas if it's written in Java and some other languages it runs in a virtual machine :p

But if you want it to just run anywhere Java is probably the best for that. :P

I do somewhat want to learn machine language though, as it'd be nice to know it. :p But I doubt I'd use it much.
Zukaro Travon
Robotic Fox

aaaddd4747
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by aaaddd4747 » Sat May 03, 2014 1:55 am

progress wrote:For most of the robots I deal with in my major, we use C. We get taught C++ freshman year, but then have to teach ourselves C because a bunch of the boards don't support C++. So, depending on the robot you're programming, having it run "on the metal" is pretty important. Also, for our industrial robots. They're kind of intimidating though.
i think our meaning of "on the metal" is a bit ambiguous here, i myself have learned C to do the programming on my sensor-based robot. but when i think "on the metal" im thinking of the logic states of each component, as opposed to just running some code on it.

*edt* i somehow glitched the server when posting this, i think i accidentally clicked preview, and got zukaro's comment?
Last edited by aaaddd4747 on Sat May 03, 2014 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ship: OFSS DERPY_PENGUIN

Zukaro
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Zukaro » Sat May 03, 2014 1:55 am

progress wrote:For most of the robots I deal with in my major, we use C. We get taught C++ freshman year, but then have to teach ourselves C because a bunch of the boards don't support C++. So, depending on the robot you're programming, having it run "on the metal" is pretty important. Also, for our industrial robots. They're kind of intimidating though.
Isn't C++ pretty much just C but with a few extra things? :P So it shouldn't be too hard to learn C from C++?

And wai duz everyone get to plai with robawtz. ;^; I wanna plai with robawts. ;^; But mai college does nawt have anything what so ever to do with robawts. :V

But both C and C++ run on the metal. :p Which is one of the reasons they're so widely used, as you write the code in a more human readable way and it's translated by the compiler into machine instructions, and then left that way (whereas with things like Java it's always being interpreted as it runs). Something liek that.
Zukaro Travon
Robotic Fox

Zukaro
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Zukaro » Sat May 03, 2014 1:58 am

aaaddd4747 wrote:
i think our meaning of "on the metal" is a bit ambiguous here, i myself have learned C to do the programming on my sensor-based robot. but when i think "on the metal" im thinking of the logic states of each component, as opposed to just running some code on it.
I don't know if "on the metal" is a term used in programming, but in the server world it's used to refer to code which is running directly on the metal. As in, something not running within a virtual environment. :P
Zukaro Travon
Robotic Fox

aaaddd4747
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by aaaddd4747 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:06 am

Zukaro wrote:
Isn't C++ pretty much just C but with a few extra things? :P So it shouldn't be too hard to learn C from C++?

And wai duz everyone get to plai with robawtz. ;^; I wanna plai with robawts. ;^; But mai college does nawt have anything what so ever to do with robawts. :V

But both C and C++ run on the metal. :p Which is one of the reasons they're so widely used, as you write the code in a more human readable way and it's translated by the compiler into machine instructions, and then left that way (whereas with things like Java it's always being interpreted as it runs). Something liek that.
i get that they are compiled, i just for some reason didnt think of compiled code as on the metal. Java is pretty much C++ with a few extra things, and im sure soon enough, there will be some other language that will be "Java with just a few extra things"... i wish i could just write all my things in lua, its so neat and clean without the irritating need for fixed lengths and stuff like that, but no one else seems to use it, and without libraries added in, its really not all that powerful at all.

i'm feeling kinda lucky as for how i managed to get into my robotics program, i actually made it into there by accident, and a year late.
ship: OFSS DERPY_PENGUIN

progress
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by progress » Sat May 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Lua is fantastic, but, like you said, not terribly powerful. C++ gives you a hell of a lot more control.

Zukaro: Yeah, C is easy to learn once you know C++, it's just remembering the minor differences that becomes important.

GwaziMagnum
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by GwaziMagnum » Sun May 04, 2014 2:29 pm