RESET THE NET 2014

Talk about other games or anything!
Spartan322
Visionary
Visionary

RESET THE NET 2014

Post by Spartan322 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:53 pm

I agree with Freedom. End Mass Surveillance. Anyone else agree. https://www.resetthenet.org/
Hey look a Robot Fox

Zukaro
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: RESET THE NET 2014

Post by Zukaro » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:45 pm

I already somewhat attempt to keep my stuff secure.
I use ownCloud for all my files rather than things like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc, I have everything on there encrypted on disk, as well I use SSL to keep the connection secure as well.

But the problem isn't just using these things, it's the fact the NSA has been paying people off (such as RSA (a company which makes encryption which is used just about everywhere)) to put vulnerabilities in their code.

It's disgusting.

But no matter how secure you try to be, if you access sites like Facebook you're just giving up all the privacy you may have ever had.
Eventually I plan to build a computer designed around security though. But I want to find a smart card reader which I can put in a drive bay so I can have the thing on the front of the case, and then use it to login (as passwords aren't very secure things, so I want to see what I can do with that and see if I can do some sort of an authenticator type thing, where the code constantly changes).

BASICALLY I THINK DAT WOULD BEH COOL ;^; SO DAZ WAI I WANNA DO THAT AND DUN WANT AN EXTERNAL SMART CARD READER THINGEH :p

But the thing about security, is even if you're using a "secure" program, it might not be secure. So if you want true security you should use only open source software, as you can look at the source code and see what they do. And then even if there is a back door or insecurity, you can fix it as you can edit the code. However, if you don't know how to do all that, it's still safer to use open source software as other people will be doing such things and you'll hear about any insecurities in it rather quickly.

Even the Linux kernal has proprietary code in it however. The reason is because companies such as Microsoft, nVidia, AMD, etc donate drivers to the Linux kernal, but they keep their drivers closed source. But since the Linux kernal is open source there are many versions of the kernal out there which don't include the proprietary drivers. The problem with doing this however, is you'll have a much harder time finding hardware which actually works as a result (you'd need to do a lot of research if going this route to make sure you get hardware that works :p).

And the problem with proprietary code is back doors can be included in it and you'll never know, and won't be able to find out; at least not easily.
Zukaro Travon
Robotic Fox

Spartan322
Visionary
Visionary

Re: RESET THE NET 2014

Post by Spartan322 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Exactly.
The best protection would best be with open source modified code for things like encryption and files. The best option would to also develop like a public open source OS (like Linux) and then develop items like Internet browsers and text editors which is open source. If we were to do these things, NSA would be unable to get to us as easily and then if you modded a browser and server with custom Markup Language type stuff then it would be even harder to track people. Simply, Open-Source Kills Mass Surveillance.
Hey look a Robot Fox