Main Turret Variety

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
SioxerNikita

Main Turret Variety

Post by SioxerNikita » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:24 am

Artillery: These are the long range heavy hitters with a LONG charge time. They do hurt when they shoot.
- Energy (Beam): Works like now
- Railgun: Has a decent bit more damage than the Beam, but much much higher kickback, about same charge time as well as a fast projectile but still has projectile travel speed

Automatics: These are the rapid fire weapons, they pepper the area and overwhelm the enemy. Has less, but consistent kickback compared to artillery.
- Energy (Pulse Laser): Not even close to the RoF of the Auto-Cannon but is hit scan but damage scales off with distance. Deals equivalent damage to the Auto-Cannon.
- Auto-Cannon: Extremely high RoF and very low energy use, but... requires ammo, and a lot of it. Not as accurate as the rest of the main weapons. Ammo can be built from scrap.

Close Range: These are the weapons designed for close range engagements. Virtually no kickback.
- Plasma Cannon: Has a low rate of fire, but deals an extreme amount of damage. The large projectile travels rather slowly compared to the other main weapons.
- Flak Cannon: Fires a large amount of small explosives with a decent spread. Is more useful the closer you get, and will outdamage anything if it gets to come up and kiss the enemy hull.

I would get into more details, but I don't think it'd be necessary.
The whole point here is that the main weapon feels... lacking...

Increases the tactical scope of both fighting against and with different main weapons. A main class feature like the Weapon Officers weapon should most definitely have more customizability than a few variations of the exact same gun.

Also having non-energy choices would be nice, but I do believe dividing the main weapons into these three classes and having a projectile and energy of each would be a good idea.

Either way, just a thought, and one I think could benefit the game a lot. Beyond the ammo, it does seem like all of the features necessary for implementation is basically already there.

Mr n
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Main Turret Variety

Post by Mr n » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:33 am

I agree.

It's not out of the scope of the game either.

Adding a few main turrets, even with same generic look, but different functions - "small damage rapid fire", "spreadshot's bigger brother" or "even-faster railgun with really damage to compensate for not being a hitscan weapon" would be great to have.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:46 am

We'd love to add more variety to main turrets and your suggestions do seem pretty reasonable. I can't make any guarantees but we'll try to fit some time into our schedule for them, perhaps when we make another pass on ship components in general.

Mr n
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Mr n » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:36 am

Could you poke us when you are doing that pass on components?

I know you guys really do listen to the community, but sometimes (it's inevitable) - you do something that's deemed unfun (and therefore implementing it was not the best use of the time).

If you could actually discuss the things/balance before actual implementation with veterans in some secret place, it would probably equal to saved time and free outsourcing of ideas/time/balancing. <3

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:16 pm

I’ll see if our programmer (cptslog) is interested in discussing planned changes but I don’t know if that really fits with his workflow. He likes to make changes fast and playtest to feel the changes in-game. Having feedback before we start working on a balance pass and even seeing potential suggestions could be really enlightening and have an impact on the changes.

It’s hard to predict when we’ll get around to another ship component pass, but if someone wants to start a balance suggestions thread we’ll certainly try to refer to it when we make those changes.

Hope that clarifies!