Discussion about making ground combat more challenging

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
Kersakof
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Discussion about making ground combat more challenging

Post by Kersakof » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:33 am

I think one of the biggest differences between ship combat and ground combat is that one you have to carefully manage your resources or you have to restart from a save, and the other you can simply just throw yourself repeatably at a wall until it breaks.

While I know the ground combat isn't the focus of the game, I feel like there needs to be some punishment similar to the ship's you lose the game if you die. Maybe not as severe, since you want people to keep playing. But if people just strap 5 guns to themselves and have 20 mission items in their inventory, they can just brute force their way through any obstacle and it makes ground combat fairly easy.

I suggest items drop on death, and maybe you respawn with basic equipment or the basic equipment you had when you first started. I think this is a fix to go towards without having to change too much at the present while you focus on more important things. I kinda noticed this glaring issue with the latest mission to destroy The Source that you had no penalty for just throwing yourself at it over and over through the entire mission. And since enemies respawn, it might make people more cautious than to just jump forward with all of the mission progression equipment, or at least value their own lives more. If someone has a better idea, feel free to tell me.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Discussion about making ground combat more challenging

Post by Edinstein » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:56 pm

We experimented with three separate ideas when we were working on the Wasted Wing.

Like you mentioned, enemies re-spawning after a time and quarantine doors than can potentially re-close if enemies respawn or move into the specific area.

Experiment 72 has fast health regeneration, and could potentially recover large swaths of its health while the crew respawns and heads back into the fight.

Finally we added a time element to the final fight with the Source, resulting in a game over if it's not killed before time runs out. So while you can throw as many bodies as you like at, each time you respawn it costs time.

While we can't make any guarantees, we do really like the idea of having a more consistent cost with re-spawning and there is a chance we may implement something like it down the line.

mrsandman321

Post by mrsandman321 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:56 pm

While my group hasn't had a chance to try out the most recent release (we may tonight!), I've thought about this in the past as well.

One thought I had was to add a new resource one can find throughout the galaxy. It could be purchased as well, perhaps. This would be akin to fuel or coolant but is for the Atrium. Healing uses an amount based on damage it heals; reviving a dead crew mate uses a flat amount that can provide the brake on just throwing meat shields.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! We'll keep it in mind if we look into penalties for respawns.

justinjah91

Post by justinjah91 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:24 pm

Ooh, here's an idea:

When your character dies, your max health gets reduced by 5-10 points, down to a minimum (maybe 20-25). The only way to recover this lost health is by making jumps or visiting a station where you could access a med bay station (kinda like the barber). This would mean that you could still get through ground combat, but you would have an incentive to be cautious and use healing items.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:48 am

justinjah91 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:24 pm
Ooh, here's an idea:

When your character dies, your max health gets reduced by 5-10 points, down to a minimum (maybe 20-25). The only way to recover this lost health is by making jumps or visiting a station where you could access a med bay station (kinda like the barber). This would mean that you could still get through ground combat, but you would have an incentive to be cautious and use healing items.
That's certainly a possibility! I imagine if we do implement most costs to respawning, there's a good chance that decreasing your maximum health will be part of it!