Tweaks to Long Range Comms Notifications

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Bullethead

Tweaks to Long Range Comms Notifications

Post by Bullethead » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:40 am

I suggest several tweaks to the notifications about long-range comms (LRC) missions:

At present, when an LRC mission appears on the screen, you get the notification "Mission Accepted" even though you haven't even read the message yet, let alone interacted with it. This is very misleading. It would be better if it said something like "LRC Mission Available", or "Incoming LRC Transmission", or something like that, and only use "Mission Accepted" for when you have actually accepted the mission.

Also at present, if you decline an LRC mission, or let the timer on it expire, you get a red "MISSION FAILED" notification. This is again very misleading, especially if you're currently on a planet pursuing a previous mission (see below). It would be better in these cases to use "Mission Declined" (or no notification at all) if you actually interact with and decline the mission, and "LRC Mission No Longer Available" if you let the timer expire.

As mentioned above, the current misleading LRC notifications are particularly annoying when LRC missions arrive while you're not aboard the ship. For example, you might be on a planet pursuing a previously accepted mission. Meanwhile, LRC missions keep coming in on the ship, and expiring because you're not there to accept them. So while you're doing your real mission, you keep getting spammed with a bunch of spurious "Mission Accepted" and "Mission Failed" notifications, and you can't tell if they apply to the mission you're actually doing or not. The LRC "Mission Failed" notification in particular has caused me to abandon quests because I thought it applied to the mission I was doing, not a mission I didn't even know about back on the ship.

Changing the LRC notifications as outlined above would help a lot to solve this planetside problem. But perhaps it would be even better if players simply did not get LRC notifications at all unless they are aboard the ship.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Tweaks to Long Range Comms Notifications

Post by Edinstein » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:15 pm

Long range comms notifications don't spawn randomly. They're only given during warp, and only one at a time, so there shouldn't be LRC messages popping up while you're planetside. However, we do think we know why you might be getting mission accepted and failed notifications while on a planet. Some of our NPCs have 'hidden missions' which we often use to keep track of things players have done or choices they've made, and it seems these are firing off notifications, even though they should be invisible. We'll look into changing this for the next update. Apologies for the confusion. If you still encounter this problem after we release the patch, please let us know, as it could be a bug. Thank you!

As for the regular mission acceptance, we can look into making it clearer. When we originally implemented long range comms, there weren't any cleaner ways to reduce CU or WD reputation for refusing orders, so the mission had to actually be accepted in order to lose reputation for refusing it. We likely have better ways to handle this now, but it's just a matter of redoing the mission text trees, which will probably take a lot of time. We can look into it when we turn our focus to polish. Thanks for the feedback!

EngBot

Post by EngBot » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:17 pm

I see it as you refusing an order and your rep going down because of it
Breaker of all the things

Bullethead

Post by Bullethead » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:07 am

Thanks for looking into this.

FWIW, I'm rather against having your reputation decline (at least significantly) for not accepting LRC missions. In all the games I've started so far as CU, the stolen medical supplies and lost colonist missions given by the NPCs in Outpost 448 are way off on the very edge of the map, which is suicidal for new crews. LRC missions, however, are usually nearby, but the combat-oriented ones are also suicidal for new crews, especially if they're in one of the weaker combat ships. It would be nice to be able to decline the more dangerous missions without substantial penalty. After all, there's supposed to be a war going on between CU and WD, which means CU has a navy. Let the navy deal with it, not a research ship :).

See, most of the game mechanics assume you're a civilian. You have to create your own income, buy your own fuel, repairs, upgrades, etc. This isn't coming out of the navy's budget, nor do you get a navy paycheck. So why do you have to follow orders or suffer the consequences as if you were in the navy?

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:09 pm

We'd like to take another look at missions, especially for starting ships. And I agree, it would be nice to have better ways to choose what kind of missions you want to accept. We'll most likely look into this during balance and polish.

Bullethead

Post by Bullethead » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:33 pm

Sounds good to me ;)