start game as non - captain role and split screen

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
xxwarrior123

start game as non - captain role and split screen

Post by xxwarrior123 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:07 pm

I really like the game so far especially since these last two major updates. I have only a few suggestions and that is whether if it is possible to start out as any of the other roles except the captain.

I also want to know if split screen will ever be available for this game. I recently checked another topic related to offline lan support and you said that you're currently working on networking solutions but I'm interested if it is possible to play this game one computer... like maybe use keyboard and mouse for one player.... and 2 - 4 players would be using controllers or external keyboard and mouses???? IF YOU MAKE THIS A POSSIBIILITY, I WILL PLAY THIS NON STOP 24/7 with my friends.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Mr. Morague

Re: start game as non - captain role and split screen

Post by Mr. Morague » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 am

1. Having an AI captain could certainly be an interesting idea, but I feel like it may have too many moving parts to be feasible at the current stage of the game. Or, rather, creating a game and having that position open for someone else to take it could cause some glaring issues with networking depending on how the system works.

2. I kinda doubt that split screen will be available for computers. The screens are much smaller compared to TVs, and I’m pretty certain the computer would require special hardware to be able to recognize/organize which inputs are intended to go with what outputs, and what input is supposed to control everything not game related.
Unidentifiable Wall of Text detected.

Paige 404

Post by Paige 404 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:22 pm

Mr. Morague wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 am
I kinda doubt that split screen will be available for computers. The screens are much smaller compared to TVs, and I’m pretty certain the computer would require special hardware to be able to recognize/organize which inputs are intended to go with what outputs, and what input is supposed to control everything not game related.
Not all computers are connected to standard monitors; I run an HTPC connected to my TV from which I can play split screen games with friends. I know several others who also do this. Whether or not the devs decide that splitscreen is worth developing--and how many players should be supported per screen--is their decision, but people certainly would use it. I only discovered this wasn't an option when I attempted to run a game with a friend who had another friend over at his house.

Secondly, the game already accepts gamepad inputs, so it would be a matter of assigning each player an input device as many PC games have done before. I'd hardly consider a gamepad to be "special hardware".

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks for the suggestion!

We prevent players from starting games as a non-captain (unless a separate player is fulling the role) because there are a few systems that only the captain can interact with.

We've spent a lot of time on the networking side of things to allow non-captain hosts which is available in the game now.

Split-screen isn't something we've spent a lot of time considering, I doubt its something we'll be adding at this time though. Thanks again for the suggestions!