Sound crackling on Linux after tabbing in/out

Please come here to inform us of new and interesting bugs so we can hunt them down and destroy them! Pics and videos demonstrating these bugs are also welcome!

• ----------------------------
    Bug Report
    ----------------------------
    Game Version: beta 7.3, beta 8, beta 8.1
    Date and Time Encountered (DD/MM/YY, HH:MM (12h format)): 2.5.16
    Possible Conflicting Software (such as firewalls and anti-virus): nope
    Severity: medium
    Description of Bug:

Wheneever I do the Xfce version of Tabbing in/out the game to and from the desktop, I get crackling sounds, that never disappear until restart of the game. These are most prominently heard, when Jumpdrive charge sounds is played.
    Steps to Reproduce:
    Run game under my OS, hit STRG-ALT-LEFT & STRG-ALT-RIGHT (for tabbing in and out), charge jumpdrive, have crackling noises until restart

Possible Workaround:
    Had no crackling when running the game windowed mode
    Screenshots and/or Video:
    Notes:
    ---------------------------
    CPU: i5 sandybridge
    GPU: hd2000
    RAM: 8g
    Motherboard: sandybridge
    HDD: to much hdds
    SSD: none

my soundcard is called m-audio audiophile 24/96 and gives this output when lspci:
    07:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies Inc. M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 32
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
    Region 0: I/O ports at d040 [size=32]
    Region 1: I/O ports at d070 [size=16]
    Region 2: I/O ports at d060 [size=16]
    Region 3: I/O ports at d000 [size=64]
    Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 1
    Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
    Kernel driver in use: snd_ice1712

so far no similar behaviour of this hardware in any other game.
    ---------------
    Last edited by krysopath on Wed May 18, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

krysopath

• Thanks for the report

Sorry for the issues,

If you can set the audio frequency to 48000 Hz for your audio device that has helped users in the past with crackling / buzzing issues.

You could also try this method to use the alsa audio driver which has been reported to help with Unity games that use Wwise on Linux.

Set launch options for PULSAR in Steam to:
    Code: Select all
    SDL_AUDIODRIVER="alsa" %command%

Make sure you have "pulseaudio-alsa" package (or equivalent) installed for this to work.

cptslog
    Leafy Developer

• Indeed cptslog,

your solution is working quite well.
    Thanks for the effort of research and for this game, too! :)

krysopath

• Neither of these solutions are working for Pulsar 8.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 64bit, the sound will still crackle if the game is backgrounded/minimized.

This may be because Pulsar is 32bit, the Unity engine can create 64bit Linux binaries that may work more reliably with Pulseaudio on 64bit Linux.

Another option may be to use FMOD for sound which works reliably on Linux.
    Last edited by sal_vager on Fri May 13, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

sal_vager

• sal_vager wrote:Neither of these solutions are working for Pulsar 8.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 64bit, the sound will still crackle if the game is backgrounded/minimized.

Haven't yet tested 16.04 but will be doing so shortly. Double check that the sound device is using 16 bit instead of 24 bit sound if possible.

We have been noticing more crackling overall on all platforms so I'm planning on rebuilding some of the soundbanks to see if that is related.

cptslog
    Leafy Developer

• Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm not sure if this is useful to you, but I have two other Unity5 games that do not have this issue in either 32bit or 64bit, these are Kerbal space program (Unity5.2.4f1) and Satellite Reign (Unity5.3.3sp3).

I know KSP uses FMOD, I don't know what Satellite reign uses but the same messages for audio are in both games Player.log files so it's probably the same.

AudioManager: Using PulseAudio: Default Output Device

But what may be most interesting is that of these games, Pulsar is the only one where the sound stops playing when backgrounded, it's when returning to the game that the sound quality is affected.

None of the Unity4 games I have are showing this behaviour.

If there's anything further I can provide to help with this please let me know.

sal_vager

• I feel sorry to reopen this, but after seeing sal_vager's post
    and experiencing crackling again, even after forcing sdl output device to alsa..

There is many such need, indeed!

I will add my pulseaudio configuration and some more specific info later.

krysopath

• This issue appears to be resolved with the use of the AK sound engine on Linux, there is no distortion of the sound when returning to Pulsar after alt tabbing, either in fullscreen or windowed mode.

Tested on Linux Mint 18.1 with Realtek ALC887 sound.

Note, libsdl2-2.0-0 or libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 (for 64bit systems) is required for sound on Linux, see here for info.

http://forums.pulsarthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3399

sal_vager

Return to Bug Reporting Section

Information