Ship Part Stats

Ask your burning questions about PULSAR: Lost Colony here!
mrsandman321

Ship Part Stats

Post by mrsandman321 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:38 pm

There are some ship parts that have stats with no indication of what they really mean. Examples include thrusters, extractors, armor, etc.

Do those have particular meanings that can be measured?

If not, could these be updated with values that can be? That would be helpful in not only making purchasing decisions, but could also open the door to many unique variations.

For example, if Thrusters changed from stats like "7" and "12" to "Max speed of 200 m/s" or "Max turn at 10 degrees/second" or whatever, you could then have special versions of the parts like "Max Speed of 200 m/s with 1/Jump 5s Turbo of 300 m/s" or "Max turn at 10 degrees/second. 1/Jump, can perform a complete about-face in 1 second."

Even if the experimental or contraband versions don't pan out, having measurable and understandable values for the parts would make the game feel much more cohesive and interesting.

CalicoJack

Re: Ship Part Stats

Post by CalicoJack » Mon May 07, 2018 6:27 am

mrsandman321 wrote:There are some ship parts that have stats with no indication of what they really mean. Examples include thrusters, extractors, armor, etc.

Do those have particular meanings that can be measured?

If not, could these be updated with values that can be? That would be helpful in not only making purchasing decisions, but could also open the door to many unique variations.

For example, if Thrusters changed from stats like "7" and "12" to "Max speed of 200 m/s" or "Max turn at 10 degrees/second" or whatever, you could then have special versions of the parts like "Max Speed of 200 m/s with 1/Jump 5s Turbo of 300 m/s" or "Max turn at 10 degrees/second. 1/Jump, can perform a complete about-face in 1 second."

Even if the experimental or contraband versions don't pan out, having measurable and understandable values for the parts would make the game feel much more cohesive and interesting.
I personally favour a how-it-feels less based approach and if I really want to know what something does I'll run a game instance just to test it. I also favour approaches that don't assume the technology we have now is translatable into commonly used flight terms, in the same way I wouldn't expect a horsepower rating for a jet engine. Don't get me wrong I appreciate flight models as much as the next sim fan, but we have a game with a model not based on exact newtonian physics with jump drives, where you can pull the engines off the largest ship in the game and fit them on the smallest. We don't have to account for gravity wells, legrange points and other localised phenomena, just as we don't have to worry about what exactly powers the manoeuvring thrusters versus the main engines.

To be clear when you say max turn at 10 degrees per second what is the benchmark in terms of ship mass, relative ship velocity, local area gravity and what can I expect that to degrade or alter to if not at the benchmark conditions. In other words you're using another arbitrary naming system simply to say something has more or less of X without explaining the why having the X is important.
Rotation thrusters level 7 versus rotational thrusters level 9
Rotation thrusters type 7 versus rotational thrusters type 9
Rotation thrusters mark 7 versus rotational thrusters mark 9
max turn at 7 degrees per second versus max turn at 9 degrees per second
The X becomes apparent once you have used the component but clearly the bigger number is bigger so it does ... something.

mrsandman321

Post by mrsandman321 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:40 am

mrsandman321 wrote:To be clear when you say max turn at 10 degrees per second what is the benchmark in terms of ship mass, relative ship velocity, local area gravity and what can I expect that to degrade or alter to if not at the benchmark conditions. In other words you're using another arbitrary naming system simply to say something has more or less of X without explaining the why having the X is important.
Rotation thrusters level 7 versus rotational thrusters level 9
Rotation thrusters type 7 versus rotational thrusters type 9
Rotation thrusters mark 7 versus rotational thrusters mark 9
max turn at 7 degrees per second versus max turn at 9 degrees per second
The X becomes apparent once you have used the component but clearly the bigger number is bigger so it does ... something.
Thanks for the feedback, CalicoJack. This is an excellent point. I was aiming for something of a happy medium between "Thrust 9" vs "Thrust 17" which tells us nothing but it's more and all of the Newtonian-derived challenges that come with ship size, gravity, energy flow, etc. I went for meters per second only because that value shows up when accelerating as a pilot, for example. So I figured that could translate. As for rotating, I picked something based on the player experience rather than "science" since that's what would help people gauge the benefit. And that leads me to the main thing I'm hoping for: a better sense of the benefit gained by upgrading a ship part. Armor, thrust, extraction stability, etc. all have generic values that leave us wondering what's worth the money/time/slot and what isn't.

With that said, I'll reiterate that I wholeheartedly agree with you that going off the deep end into scientifically consistent values will just get ridiculous given how the game works and never pass a cost/benefit analysis for the developers.

CalicoJack

Post by CalicoJack » Mon May 07, 2018 12:49 pm

mrsandman321 wrote:the main thing I'm hoping for: a better sense of the benefit gained by upgrading a ship part. Armor, thrust, extraction stability, etc. all have generic values that leave us wondering what's worth the money/time/slot and what isn't.
I see what you're getting at now - the naming is a bit humdrum and not very exciting sounding - "I just upgraded to a number 3 main thruster" as opposed to "I just removed the Saturn J-3000 engines and had them replaced with Rolls-Royce N66 Cyclone thrust engines" (names shamelessly ripped from this page about the Nostromo)

Maybe expand the lore - who besides Fluffy make ship components, is it like the drones who are all manufactured by WD, yet used by CU or does CU have it's own manufacturing.

Of course the other thing is given how much Pulsar owes to Star Trek whose tech terms were pretty generic and bland - the Enterprise NCC1701 had (quoting from the Wiki) "4 dual impulse power units, 2 space warp propulsion units and a dilithium-focused matter/anti-matter reaction chamber"

That said Darth Vadar's Executor apparently had an "Executor-50.x engine" all I could get from the Star Wars wookie which had five paragraphs on the weapons systems so I guess it's true of other big sci fi names.

I was thinking of suggesting the Devs could hold polls for what players want to call the parts, but then I remembered Boaty McBoatface and all the subsequent derivatives, so maybe not. But if the Devs were up for considering suggestions it could be a cool way to randomise the nomencalture a bit.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Thu May 17, 2018 7:19 pm

We might take another look at the names and descriptions of ship components during a polish pass. Thanks for the suggestions!

mrsandman321

Post by mrsandman321 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Just to keep this conversation in one place, I'm not sure how others will feel about this, but I could see using Level 1, Level 2, etc. as a means of helping differentiate parts with otherwise vague values. Add that with the earlier suggestion of way cool, fun names and that could make for a lot of variety. And you could then, on the backend, standardize what each "level" means when plugged into whatever ship.

Maneuvering Thruster Level 1
Maneuvering Thruster Level 2 (clearly better even if vaguely so)

Or, with fun names:

Quantum Rocket (Level 6 Main Thruster)
Put-Put (Level 1 Maneuvering Thruster)
MegaThrust (Level 4 Main Thruster)
etc. etc. etc.

Just some ideas!