Sensor stats base line?

Ask your burning questions about PULSAR: Lost Colony here!
CalicoJack

Sensor stats base line?

Post by CalicoJack » Tue May 08, 2018 4:47 am

I'm wondering if the sensors range as stated in the sensor stats used in game as
  1. a means of calculating total range along the lines of sensor range times EM produced by the target.
  2. a set sensor range with varying degrees of signal strength based on the target EM once inside that range
I'm leaning towards b from what I've seen in game, but I have read SirKnumskull's steam guide on EM which mentions a - though he did tell me himself the guide was outdated.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Sensor stats base line?

Post by Edinstein » Thu May 17, 2018 7:20 pm

Apologies, I'm a bit confused by what you mean by "sensor range". Are you referring to the numbers (detection levels) on computer screen?

CalicoJack

Post by CalicoJack » Thu May 17, 2018 11:00 pm

Edinstein wrote:Apologies, I'm a bit confused by what you mean by "sensor range". Are you referring to the numbers (detection levels) on computer screen?
the detection stat given in km

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Tue May 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Apologies for the confusion, the detection stat is not a range in km, but a strength rating. Sensor detection is essentially how well you can 'hear' the signatures emitted by other ships. There's no hard range because if a ship is emitting a large signal, it can be detected further away. Hope this clarifies!

CalicoJack

Post by CalicoJack » Tue May 22, 2018 11:45 pm

Edinstein wrote:Apologies for the confusion, the detection stat is not a range in km, but a strength rating. Sensor detection is essentially how well you can 'hear' the signatures emitted by other ships. There's no hard range because if a ship is emitting a large signal, it can be detected further away. Hope this clarifies!

so a shield strength rating of 9.9 used on a target ship with an EM signature of 1.0 would result in a detection range of 9.9 km?

cptslog
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by cptslog » Tue May 29, 2018 7:20 pm

CalicoJack wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:45 pm
Edinstein wrote:Apologies for the confusion, the detection stat is not a range in km, but a strength rating. Sensor detection is essentially how well you can 'hear' the signatures emitted by other ships. There's no hard range because if a ship is emitting a large signal, it can be detected further away. Hope this clarifies!

so a shield strength rating of 9.9 used on a target ship with an EM signature of 1.0 would result in a detection range of 9.9 km?
Hi CalicoJack,

The result of a sensor detection check depends upon many variables.

We determine a distance factor between the two ships (inverse of distance squared) that gets multiplied by the other ships signature and your detection rating. That is multiplied by additional parameters (sensor dish orientation / sector conditions / power levels / etc). The higher the result the better signal is received and if the signal is above a threshold you will then be able to detect them.

Hope that helps!

CalicoJack

Post by CalicoJack » Thu May 31, 2018 12:23 am

thanks for the info, usually I tend to avoid being the kind of gamer that tries to get numeric values behind game phenomena but trying to explain shields left me with a lot of questions.