Decided to try VR again and still cannot play the game...

Please come here to inform us of new and interesting bugs so we can hunt them down and destroy them! Pics and videos demonstrating these bugs are also welcome!
CzechErface

Decided to try VR again and still cannot play the game...

Post by CzechErface » Fri May 11, 2018 9:50 pm

:cry: Am I missing something or is this game unplayable in VR? Every month or so I come back to this game in hopes that I can play it with VR but always hit a game-breaking snag...

Problem 1: I cannot rotate myself with my right touch controller. I even deleted the bindings file and generated a new one. How are you supposed to turn if seated? Is this an oversight or am I missing something?

Problem 2: When moving, most of POV fades to black. I guess this is to help against motion sickness but I don't have such a problem. How do I turn this off?

Problem 3: If I uncheck the oculus controls tickbox in the bindings panel, then I cannot tick it again and have to wipe the bindings file and restart the game. This must be an oversight, right?

Problem 4: All of the control for oculus are cryptic. I mean, there are about 10 axis for one controller joystick... why? In test I found that axis 2 is up and down and axis 3 is left and right. Why have an axis 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc if they do nothing? What are buttons one, two, three, four? Just overall this entire interface needs some QoL improvements.

I can't possibly be the only person running into these walls over and over again... am I that stupid? (of course I am... but still looking for someone to teach this idiot what he's doing wrong).

CzechErface

Re: Decided to try VR again and still cannot play the game..

Post by CzechErface » Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Bump

CzechErface

Re: Decided to try VR again and still cannot play the game..

Post by CzechErface » Sat May 19, 2018 6:21 pm

Bump again. Am I really the only one experiencing problems in VR?

cptslog
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Decided to try VR again and still cannot play the game...

Post by cptslog » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:12 pm

Sorry for the issues,

Thanks for the feedback and letting us know about the issues.

Problem 1: The VR settings menu has an option (VR Setup Type) for seated/standing play that should allow rotation. The roomscale mode locks the rotation to the roomscale orientation.

Problem 2: The Motion Vignette option in the VR settings menu should allow you to toggle this on/off

Problem 3: We allow for controllers to be disabled in case someone wants to leave something plugged in without sending input to the game. We'll look into some options to prevent disabling the VR controls while in VR.

Problem 4: I agree it's not the best user interface for customizing controls, partly because we're merging multiple plugins / APIs for input. This allows for the most native / performant experience on each VR platform. We are hoping to improve it at some point and make it easier to use.

As the Oculus SDK and SteamVR plugin are updated and improved we hope to continue making the VR mode better and more comfortable.

Hope this helps!
Sorry again for the issues

CzechErface

Re: Decided to try VR again and still cannot play the game...

Post by CzechErface » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:52 pm

I plan to try playing this again today and am pleased to see a response (from a dev, no less). I will try and apply your solutions/tips and see if I can VR it up! Thank you :)