Set bots default race to Robot

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Shaftoe

Set bots default race to Robot

Post by Shaftoe » Tue May 15, 2018 3:30 am

Since bots are fairly dumb, they can't survive in some situations that involve dangerous environment.

I suggest to implement the simplest fix possible: make all Bots (PiBot, EngBot, WepBot, SciBot) robots by default. Players should be able to change this, but for sake of simplicity one's default crew should be composed of most environment-resistent species in the game. Robots are that species.

That's all. I hope to see this change implemented one day.

CalicoJack

Re: Set bots default race to Robot

Post by CalicoJack » Tue May 15, 2018 6:34 am

Shaftoe wrote:Since bots are fairly dumb, they can't survive in some situations that involve dangerous environment.

I suggest to implement the simplest fix possible: make all Bots (PiBot, EngBot, WepBot, SciBot) robots by default. Players should be able to change this, but for sake of simplicity one's default crew should be composed of most environment-resistent species in the game. Robots are that species.

If by "dumb" you mean "not doing what you want" have a look at this guide on programming and look into getting AI to repair or res each other (and you). I explained how to set up AI as a specific race/appearance in a reply to another post, just load in your AI file when you want.

Shaftoe

Post by Shaftoe » Tue May 15, 2018 7:55 am

CalicoJack wrote:
Shaftoe wrote:Since bots are fairly dumb, they can't survive in some situations that involve dangerous environment.

If by "dumb" you mean "not doing what you want" have a look at this guide on programming and look into getting AI to repair or res each other (and you). I explained how to set up AI as a specific race/appearance in a reply to another post, just load in your AI file when you want.
Oh, thank you! But still, I think the proposed change will benefit the game and those players who haven't heard of your guides (or not fond of guides at all) in particular.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Thu May 17, 2018 7:20 pm

We considered making AI bots robots, but with the default classes, we decided that the varied races would be better representative of a potential crew. It's an interesting point that robots could be more resilient for new players, particularly since there isn't currently an AI priority for human bots to get their ExoSuits in no oxygen on the ship. However, it's something we'll look into, and we're going to update the manual soon to include a section on AI priorities, which will hopefully get more players programming their bots they way they want them (besides using player guides like the one above).

Shaftoe

Post by Shaftoe » Sat May 19, 2018 1:43 pm

Edinstein wrote:We considered making AI bots robots, but with the default classes, we decided that the varied races would be better representative of a potential crew. It's an interesting point that robots could be more resilient for new players, particularly since there isn't currently an AI priority for human bots to get their ExoSuits in no oxygen on the ship. However, it's something we'll look into, and we're going to update the manual soon to include a section on AI priorities, which will hopefully get more players programming their bots they way they want them (besides using player guides like the one above).
I think defualt AI crew being robots would make a nice quick fix, so to speak. If someone would like to have bots of other race, they should be able to customize them as they please.