Put main turrets on sale, add factions HQ stores

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Shaftoe

Put main turrets on sale, add factions HQ stores

Post by Shaftoe » Wed May 30, 2018 12:49 pm

Well, first and foremost, the reason why I bring this suggstion here is the fact that current store system is... lacking. Many players whom I know have expressed their discontent with that system, and these are just some reasons why people don't like it:
1. Many kinds of much needed items can't be purchased at all (Example: main turrets, such as C.U. Long Range);
2. A chance of getting what one needs highly depends on RNG and so players often required to reload the game many times to get what they want;
3. Prices on highly valuable goods at exotic stores are insane (due to reputation loss) for anyone but neutrals...

I think that many currently unavailable for purchase equipment, such as my favorite C.U. Long Range (and other kinds of main guns) should be put on sale, and not only at exotic items shops, but also at those stores located in faction HQ systems. This change will greatly expand gameplay options available to players and surely will make the game more intuitive.
For example, Outpost 448 is the central C.U. hub in the Galaxy. So, such items as C.U. Long Range, C.U. Peacekeeper and C.U. Enforcer should be made always available there (but they should be quite pricy). Same goes for W.D. Hub - their high-tier faction-specific equipment and weapons should be readily available to players who have the credits to buy them. Same for all other factions...

As for already existing Exotic Stores (by the way, in my opinion, reputation loss should not affect Exotic Stores) , their key differences from proposed Faction HQ Stores should be:
1) 10-15% lower costs on faction-specific high-end equipment;
2) Random goods generation (again: HQ Stores should always have goods in stock, but for higher prices);
3) And, of course, some expensive exotic (rare/illegal) items that can't be found (unless salvaged) anywhere else in the Galaxy.

I honestly believe that this new system will benefit the game, because RNG is not really something people like when it comes to acquiring tools and guns. Just look at loot boxes and other "loot randomizers". Every time when RNG is used as a lock on something really valuable, it only produces disdain and rejection. People seek ways how to bypass it - and that's exactly what many PULSAR players do now: they simply restart the game to buy a nuke or a program or whatever it is they need. Obviously, that's bad for immersion and replayability. After 10-15 tries game isn't even fun anymore and an average crew disbands. This is exactly why store system needs to be changed.

The good thing about games of the past is that people always knew what they wanted, it was always available to them, but they also had to beat some challenges, i.e. progress in the game to get their desired loot. The whole experience was rewarding. This is the way that, I believe, PULSAR should take for stores system.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Put main turrets on sale, add factions HQ stores

Post by Edinstein » Thu May 31, 2018 1:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! You make a lot of good points. We'll take another pass at shops. It won't be in the next update, but we'll look into the matter.

mrsandman321

Post by mrsandman321 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:13 am

Great suggestions here! I would like to add a request to improve the transaction cost view even more. I know there was an update that was supposed to make it more clear what costs what, minus trade-in, but the view is still really confusing.

Add on top of that the unclear value of a ship part (thrust 12 vs thrust 13) and it makes for a challenging experience.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:27 pm

We'll spend some time on the component shop menu and see what we can do to make transactions clearer, thanks for the suggestion!

As far as the thrust stat, since acceleration and max speed are affected by thrust, power allocation, and ship mass, it's hard to boil down the thrust stat to a base speed in m/s or a term that can be applicable across all ship types and setups (as was mentioned in the Ship Part Stat thread). The current thrust value is indicative of the force the pilot can impart upon the ship (and is the number actually being multiplied into the math), though yes, it could run the risk of being vague as you've been mentioning. We'll keep it in mind and see if we can come up with a better solution for conveying the difference between stats, but due to all the other factors at play in a ship in PULSAR, the current terms are the best solution we have at the moment for standardizing components across all ships. If you have any other suggestions for differentiating between stats or clarifying stat descriptors, feel free to let us know!