Cryogenic Reactor

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Doosty295

Cryogenic Reactor

Post by Doosty295 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:30 pm

How about an 'anti-ThermoCore' called a CryoCore that, as temperature decreases, power output increases?
Perhaps have it come with its own cooling system that (for an energy cost, of course) regenerates coolant constantly when inactive and when active only cools.

A caveat of the regenerative cooling system could be a drastically decreased reservoir of coolant, lasting 60 seconds on 'high' instead of the stock 165 (in an Intrepid, at least) with a 180 second regen cycle, and a rather long emergency cooldown.
To add some incentive to use the CryoCore, all signatures could be reduced by some amount at lower core temperatures as well as synergising with (buffing) more efficient components.

Like everything else in the game, coolant duration/capacity would increase alongside output as the level goes up.

Power/Temperature relationship on a level 1 could look like this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Cryogenic Reactor

Post by Edinstein » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:46 am

That's a pretty neat component idea for sure! I'll bring it up to the team and see what they think, if it's possible. I could potentially foresee a few complications that may kind of make output ping-pong but I'm not super sure. This is like the exact theme of an experimental component though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Doosty295

Post by Doosty295 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:21 pm

"With unstable output comes great tuning potential."
- Ghandi probably.

Maybe add a tuning display with the CryoCore that adjusts reactor parameters some?
Sure there'll be a learning curve, but then you could refine your power output and heat generation on a per ship basis. Channel your inner Scotty and give 'er all she's got, Cap'n.

"Oh, you want the reactor to peak output at -34 kP? Sure, have an extra gigawatt in compensation for the increased signature."
- or -
"You need 5 gigawatts more than max output? Sure thing! I'll just triple heat output for a bit."
- or maybe -
"So lower my max output by 5 gigawatts? Okay! Let me just knock 5% off of your heat generation and signature."

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:38 pm

Just wanted to notify you, I added this idea to my components list thread. I think it's super cool (no pun intended), and would love to see it in-game!
“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts.”
― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick