New AI override - Captain is sat on his chair

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
John Nada

New AI override - Captain is sat on his chair

Post by John Nada » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Hello,

It would be useful to trigger or avoid AI bots to do/not do some action if the Captain is ready(sat) or not.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: New AI override - Captain is sat on his chair

Post by Edinstein » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:11 pm

We're certainly not against adding an override like this! We'll keep it in mind if we look into adding more overrides. Thank you for the suggestion!

John Nada

Post by John Nada » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 pm

Thanks for the comment.

In some way tweaking an AI team is fun, we can do so many things. But we can't give an actual punctual order like jump. If we make EngiBot jump with C2, we need to switch from At Attention to C2 and switch back to At Attention after. So like in Star Trek, if the Captain gets up it's kind of an order to wait.

Bullethead

Post by Bullethead » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:28 am

Jumping requires actions by 3 players:
1. Captain picks destination.
2. Pilot aims ship at the destination. There is a bot command for this.
3. Engineer hits the Jump button once the ship is lined up (assuming he's already charged the drive, which should always happen immediately after jumping). There is a bot command for this.

And if the Engineer is a bot and there's no need to stay in warp, the Captain also has to go push the "Skip Warp" button, which can't be done from the chair. There doesn't seem to be a bot command for this.

I tend play as captain with a human pilot and the rest bots, or with all bots. I thus rarely sit in my chair because I have to tend the "Skip Warp" button. I have the EngBot set to charge the jump drive no matter what immediately after a jump. I have a custom command "RUN AWAY!" which tells PiBot to aim at the destination and EngBot to jump once the ship is lined up. But even if I issue the "RUN AWAY!" order, nothing happens until I as Captain pick a destination, so the bots fall back on their other priorities if I haven't done that yet.

Thus, with an all-bot crew, I can leave "RUN AWAY!" in effect and NOT jump simply by only plotting 1 jump at a time instead of having a multi-jump trip plotted. With a human pilot, we talk so the pilot isn't going to aim at the destination until it's time, and EngBot won't jump until he does, so again, even with "RUN AWAY!" in effect, there's still no jump until pilot aims at the destination.

John Nada

Post by John Nada » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:13 pm

I had too a "Engage Warp" order, but when I plot a multi-jump I kept switching between that and "At attention". So I mean that by no actual punctual order like with human. You can tell your friend to jump without change the course of action.

Like you my EngiBot set to charge the jump drive as first thing. The Pilot always align the ship with "At Attention" except if Scrap Detected or Repair Station+Hull<100 or I set offensive order. The repair station is a dead-end as I can't set the bot to auto-jump when repair and shopping are done, so I need to jump on his console.

As I rather like to sit on the chair when we travel, this override if a fun way to do that and many other things. So when we emerge in a system I can leave the chair to evaluate the possibilities, process some scrap because this prevent EngiBot to jump. when I sit down after, it knows it can jump. It will be more immersive than use his console or switch a C2 jump command and switch back to the regular one.

Bullethead

Post by Bullethead » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:32 pm

John Nada wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:13 pm
As I rather like to sit on the chair when we travel, this override if a fun way to do that and many other things. So when we emerge in a system I can leave the chair to evaluate the possibilities, process some scrap because this prevent EngiBot to jump. when I sit down after, it knows it can jump. It will be more immersive than use his console or switch a C2 jump command and switch back to the regular one.
'I can leave the chair" is all you need to say to show how useless the chair is. I don't mind that we now have this override as it makes some folks happy and doesn't negatively impact how I play. But the main thing to me is that the chair is pretty useless otherwise. About all you can do it in it is deal with LRC and hailing messages, which you can also do from standing elsewhere. If the chair had some other functionality, such as some sort of map view showing the big picture so you could more effectively give orders to your crew as you have the most situational awareness, then I'd use the chair more often.