Joystick throttle overrides Full/Reverse buttons

Please come here to inform us of new and interesting bugs so we can hunt them down and destroy them! Pics and videos demonstrating these bugs are also welcome!
maplealmond
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Joystick throttle overrides Full/Reverse buttons

Post by maplealmond » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:28 pm

Severity: Minor, affects only joystick users who expect throttle to work a certain way.

Setup: Using a Saitek X-52 controller with throttle set to 50% plus 50 offset, so that the throttle goes from 0-100 thrust instead of -100 to 100 thrust. This is because trying to stop the ship by putting the throttle in the midpoint is frustrating as hell. So far this works.

Issue: Pressing full-reverse throttle button (used most commonly to brake the ship's forward velocity) does nothing. It appears that the button is overridden by the throttle. Thus, there is no way using my setup to get reverse thrust, except by entering maneuver mode and pulling the stick back.

Expected Behavior: The buttons for full-reverse throttle, when pressed, should fully override the analog throttle input.

Alternate Behavior that would render the above less of an issue: Would really like a reverse button that, when held, inverts the throttle inputs. So throttle at 0 means engines at 0, throttle at 20% means engines at 20%, throttle at 20% + invert button held means engines at -20%.

cptslog
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Joystick throttle overrides Full/Reverse buttons

Post by cptslog » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:06 pm

Thanks for the info,

I agree it could be better. I'll look into it

maplealmond
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by maplealmond » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:27 pm

This might be a bit of a necro bump, but this issue still exists.

It doesn't manifest if using binary throttle, but it absolutely manifests when using precise throttle. The throttle experience of using an X-52 is not great at all due to the above bug.

Additionally, the direct maneuver inputs require button inputs, but most joysticks have their hats as an axis. So it's not possible to bind direct maneuver up/down/left/right to a hat switch.

EngBot

Post by EngBot » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:43 am

So long as the issue persists keep bumping.
Breaker of all the things

cptslog
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by cptslog » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:08 am

Thanks for the reports

We are working on this currently, the next update should hopefully contain the fix for this issue

maplealmond
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by maplealmond » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:39 pm

I am sad to say the update did not fix the issue.

Using throttle with 20% gain and 50% offset with invert true, so that it goes from 0.0 to 1.1 as I push throttle forward. Full reverse throttle set to Joy1Button4. Precise throttle controls.

When I tap full reverse I can see the throttle inch a TINY bit backwards, but it does not actually engage reverse thrust.

cptslog
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by cptslog » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:22 am

maplealmond wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:39 pm
I am sad to say the update did not fix the issue.

Using throttle with 20% gain and 50% offset with invert true, so that it goes from 0.0 to 1.1 as I push throttle forward. Full reverse throttle set to Joy1Button4. Precise throttle controls.

When I tap full reverse I can see the throttle inch a TINY bit backwards, but it does not actually engage reverse thrust.
Thanks for the info, we will look into this further. Sorry for the issue