2x VR Toggle bugs

Please come here to inform us of new and interesting bugs so we can hunt them down and destroy them! Pics and videos demonstrating these bugs are also welcome!
cspotcode

2x VR Toggle bugs

Post by cspotcode » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:06 pm

These bugs relate to the "toggle VR" keybinding, which is used to switch into and out of VR mode during gameplay. I play in the seated mode with a headset, keyboard and mouse. I do not use VR controllers.

---

When inside the ship and switching out of VR mode, the interior of the ship correctly follows mouse aim as you would expect, but the *exterior* of the ship continues to render according to headset position. This means you can look forward out of the ship's front window and yet see asteroids that are above the ship as if they were in front of the ship, because the two render cameras do not match.

Steps to reproduce:
play game in "seated" VR mode
be on the ship, looking out the front window
press keybinding to toggle out of VR mode
Move mouse up/down/left/right to confirm that the camera rendering the ship's interior rotates in all directions, like you would expect when playing the game without a headset.
Tilt VR headset up/down/left/right to confirm that camera rendering ship exterior rotates to follow (<-- this bit is the bug)

---

If I toggle out of VR mode during the opening cutscene, skip the opening cutscene, join a game, and switch back to VR, then interacting with in-universe buttons does not work.

Steps to reproduce:
Launch game in seated VR mode
During opening cutscene, press keybinding to switch out of VR mode
In non-VR mode, click to skip cutscene, then join a server
Press keybinding to switch back into VR mode
Attempt to interact with buttons in the pause menu, in-game menus, and in-universe ship controls

cspotcode

Re: 2x VR Toggle bugs

Post by cspotcode » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:33 pm

I used modding to create a fix for the external camera issue. I'll share what I learned to help with a fix.

It looks like Pulsar is using two `PLTrackedPoseDriver` components. These components update their own `localPosition` and `localRotation` to follow the headset. Then, conditionally when `PLSteamVR_AllPlatforms.XRSettingsenabled` is true, this local transform is copied to an array of other cameras.

The problem is, I think one of the cameras is attached directly to the same gameobject as the `PLTrackingPoseDriver`. So that camera isn't *conditionally* transformed, it's *always* transformed, whether or not VR mode is enabled.

hainer92

Re: 2x VR Toggle bugs

Post by hainer92 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:37 am

Mods are definitely the way to go, incidentally can you recommend some mods?