Quick Fix to Game-Breaking Mechanic

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
WhatsHisName

Quick Fix to Game-Breaking Mechanic

Post by WhatsHisName » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:49 am

Hello, Forums!

I've been playing Pulsar regularly for months now with four friends of mine. We love the game dearly, and are ecstatic to see where it goes in the future.

However, in all our hours invested in Pulsar, there's one mechanic which irritates us to no end- as a matter of fact, we're confused as to why it's in the game at all.

I'm referring to, of course, the infected.

The Infected are a perplexing mechanic because the penalize the player for playing the game. As players invest more and more effort and time into playing a overall well-designed, fun experience, the Chaos Level of the game increases, making a game primarily about exploration penalize you for exploration. It's paradoxical in nature, to say the least.

However, I don't think Leafy Games should remove the Infected either; it's a fascinating idea that I would love to be expanded upon in the future, and I know many people who do runs of pulsar with the goal of 'beating the infected'.

As such, why not simply implement a quarantine mode to the launch screen alongside the option for 'hardcore mode' which disables the increase of the chaos level?

Those are my two cents.
Peace, and thank you Leafy Games~

Dangerous_David

Re: Quick Fix to Game-Breaking Mechanic

Post by Dangerous_David » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:07 pm

So like a toggle switch that gives players the option to turn off the infected until the game is further developed. This would be nice.

JonBon

Post by JonBon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:40 pm

I definitely agree. Players who take their time, fly around a lot, maybe not double down on efficiency of missions etc, become penalized by infected space spreading.
I think maybe a toggle to prevent spreading, and one to remove it all together might be some nice options for world creation. That would also add variety in gameplay, they could even allow it to be increased for players who only want to fight the infected.

Calladium
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Calladium » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:37 am

I agree that a toggle is a good idea. The infected don't seem like they are finished yet, imo. Until they make the Infected and Infected space more than just something to be avoided, we should be able to opt out of the spread.

In the future though, I would hope that there is more interaction with the Infected; quarantine, cleanup, finding a hive or home, etc.
After that, a toggle may no longer be necessary or may serve as part of a set of difficulty levels.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:21 pm

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. The Infected can definitely become a problem to long play throughs, and we apologize that they’ve been getting in your way. Unfortunately, there is no way we can toggle them off, apologies. We definitely have more plans for them and chaos levels for the future, but yes, as of right now they can only be avoided. We do have plans to add a more exploratory mode later in development, so even after the Infected are more developed players can still have the option to explore without that additional pressure.

WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:03 pm

Edinstein wrote:Infected
Whoa! Thanks so much for taking the time to reply-

I'm really sorry to rush, but I was wondering when any solution to the infected would be implemented- seeing as it's hard to play an exploration game which punishes you for exploration, which is the state of the game right now :/...

Is there any way to perhaps slow the growth of chaos, or add a method where it grows slower, until a more permanent solution could be implemented?

Thank you so much.

bcrab

Post by bcrab » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:59 pm

To tag onto this thought, at least make sure that nothing in the early game takes you over there. On my most recent restart, one of the first CU missions I picked up happened to be placed right in the middle of infected space. I still haven't completed that mission because I cannot get in without flying through several infected sectors leaving me way too damaged to get back out again. (I can sometimes plan a route by sticking to systems with planets that do not have enemies, but not this time).

It's either that, or the damn Long Range Comms sending me on 1 vs 2 suicide missions when I've barely had a chance to upgrade my ship.

So I agree with your comments and wanted to add my own 2 cents.

SirKnum
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by SirKnum » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:07 am

You can opt out of the missions you receive through long range comms by applying for a explorers license.

bcrab

Post by bcrab » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:18 am

Opting out of missions is not always a good idea. When you are just starting out and low on cash, those early missions used to be fairly easy and a good way to get some credits (Investigate the Intrepid, or the crashed Roland, for example). By the time you are ready to opt out and start exploring, you've had a chance to upgrade your ship to fight anything you meet in deep space.

My point is that the 2nd or 3rd mission you receive from LRC shouldn't be a suicide mission. If you're gonna be ordered to fight a ship early on, they should send you against something that doesn't kill 50% of your shields in 1 hit. Or, better yet, give you an option for the mission you choose: 1: combat mission, 2: research mission, 3: Search and rescue.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:43 pm

@WhatsHisName
Our current recommendation, if you’re only interested in exploring, would be to avoid killing ships. Try for diplomatic routes with enemy crews, and equip your ship to jump as quickly as possible if the situation can’t be resolved through dialog. The growth of infection and chaos will be much slower, and it should take a long time (perhaps over a hundred jumps) to get to a high chaos level.

@bcrab
We apologize that some of the missions have been too tough at early levels. Our pickup missions are not assigned in any particular order, but some of the more difficult ones (especially anything 1 vs. 2) should have experience requirements to ensure they aren’t given to players too early on. We’ll look into the missions for the next update and make sure that these restrictions are still working correctly or are appropriate for a particular crew level.

If you recall any of the mission names that have given you grief, please let us know and we’ll take a good look at them. Some of the components may have gotten too powerful over a previous update and may need to be toned down on particular enemy ships.

In the future, we’ll have to do some major balancing for the missions (difficulty, requirements, rarity, and rewards alike), so we apologize that some of them can be too deadly right now. Creating a better set of missions for starting ships is probably something we should look into as well. We’ll do our best to correct these issues over future updates. Thanks for bearing with us, guys.